SwimPure salt readings drop to zero after reset

great answer - thanks!

With the water continuing to cool off for the winter (we don't "close" our pools here) there's not much risk of high amps for at least a few months. That's good news since we're leaving in a few days for a month in FL. I'll get that kit when I get back and make adjustments before spring.

As for the board, I've already tried the contact cleaning - that's why I think the board is suspect. (It does get very hot in the summer sun.)

The AL setting was 0 but a Hayward tech had me change it to 5 when I called last week. The display was defaulting to the % setting (instead of salt average) so the tech told me to change it, which corrected the problem. Maybe I need to call Hayward again. (or think about a new board?)

AL-4 makes the default display the percent. AL-5 used to make the board work with Jandy automation. I don't know what it does now. Al-0 should be correct. If the settings won't stay correct and resetting the board does not help, you might need a new display board.

Back from vacation and my K-1766 was waiting for me. The test seemed to go well, but I noticed after the first few drops that there was some "clumping" of material in the bottom of the vial. I was very careful about swirling and adding drops slowly. Is this an issue of concern?? Assuming it's not an issue -

Test kit reading - 4600
SWG panel reading - 4700

YAY! I finally have some consistency. Now I need to figure out how many gallons to drain. I'd rather have gallons than inches of water level since my pool is a very irregular shape. I can easily work with gallons since I know my pump flow rate.

The clumping is silver chloride. It's normal and nothing to worry about. What are the dimensions of the pool and what shape?

Are you sure that the pool is over 9' deep? If you have a diving board and the pool is over 9' deep, then your pool is likely closer to 30,000 gallons.

As long as your amps are not close to 8, you don't have to replace any water. If you want to dilute some, replace about 15% of the water.

The pool is one of those "kidney-type" shapes - no straight edges and hard to measure. The deep end is over 9', but unfortunately it's really not as big as it should be - you have to be careful diving and always keep your hands over your head or you can hit the upslope. I originally thought it was close to 30K (we bought the house in '02) but when we did the remodel I recorded the readings on the meter when I filled the pool. It's 24K.

Right now the amps are well under 7, but water temp is about 55 (and dropping). My concern is in the summer. We like our pool warm and generally keep it in the high 80s. I'm not going to do anything about diluting right now but wait until spring. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks again for all the help. I've got a much better understanding of how this whole thing works now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.