I had sparkling clear water, got caught by an algea bloom, then...

jwhop3

Jun 9, 2014
Rocky Mount/Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
We had a swimmer party, followed by four days of afternoon thunderstorms that allowed the pool to get away from me a bit. I finally was able to 7.2 my pH and SLAM it, got all the dead stuff out, and have maintained an OCLT of <1.0 for several days. Water is "clear," just what I would call hazy. The only thing I did that is arousing my suspicion is I added a bottle of Frog BAM algaecide. Ever since I did that I have had the haziness.

My consistent readings have been
FC 5 - 7ppm
TC no drop after 5 minutes
pH 7.6 - 7.8
AL 110 - 120
CYA 40

I am using a Frog in-line chlorinator, but on the minimum setting of 1. Shocking with bleach, pH adjustments with muriatic acid and/or Borax, Arm and Hammer for AL adjustments.

I am also running the diesel filter through the return jets at night.

FC & TC sounds like you're using something other than the FAS-DPD test to check chlorine. Are you one of the many who was sold the K-2005 DPD test by the pool store with them telling you, "It's the same thing"?

If so, then you really didn't do the SLAM properly and there may still be some algae stragglers.

I confess the FAS-DPD test is the last step I haven't upgraded to, that is definitely on my list for next year. I have the 5-way test kit, it's probably DPD, I usually check it against test strips just to make sure one or the other isn't lying to me. I know that itself is limiting me.

Well there you go. I love chemistry! Thanks, Richard!

- - - Updated - - -

It does look better this morning. I've been dosing bleach for 7 - 9 ppm, and running the slimebags on both returns. Those girls are the bombs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.