Almost ready to SLAM, some questions

Had FC 12.5 @ 12:30pm FC 9.5 @9:30PM Adding 1.5 gal 8.25 bleach to bring near 14

I did a CYA test and came out with 28 which is lower than expected compared to prediction from poolmath for 5lb DiChlor... But I read somwhere it takes quite some time for solid/powder CYA to dissolve so should I use some more Dichlor, or leave it alone assuming the CYA just isn't fully disolved?

Thanks!

It takes a few days for CYA to dissolve and up to a week for it to fully dissolve and show up on the CYA test. Set your FC level based on how many ppm you added and assume it is in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually, during a SLAM might be the best time. Especially if you are mostly blue with cloudiness. Might even want to think about the small amount of DE addition I've read about.

Keep up the good work! Pics will be great.

where does one buy DE? I had been reading about that too..

- - - Updated - - -

A friend of mine also recommended something called "sand-aid" anyone heard of it?

Here's pretty much what I have now.. this section is around 4' deep
20150627_082536.jpg

you can find DE at home depot, just make sure you buy the one in the pool section, not the stuff for landscape planters.

I wouldn't add DE to your filter till the very end. it clogs up your filter really really fast. for the bigger stuff that's in the water now, your sand filter should be fine. just got to keep up on your backwashing. I wouldn't do a deep clean on it yet, maybe after you are completely done with your SLAM.

the water is going to be cloudy for a while, that's just part of the process. its gonna take some time. be patient.

get the DE though, you will probably want to add it at the very end. it does a good job taking your water from pretty clear to crystal clear, but now is not the time for that.

people also add socks to the skimmer to try and prefilter the water as well. ive never done it but you can read about with a search

you can find DE at home depot, just make sure you buy the one in the pool section, not the stuff for landscape planters.

I wouldn't add DE to your filter till the very end. it clogs up your filter really really fast. for the bigger stuff that's in the water now, your sand filter should be fine. just got to keep up on your backwashing. I wouldn't do a deep clean on it yet, maybe after you are completely done with your SLAM.

the water is going to be cloudy for a while, that's just part of the process. its gonna take some time. be patient.

get the DE though, you will probably want to add it at the very end. it does a good job taking your water from pretty clear to crystal clear, but now is not the time for that.

people also add socks to the skimmer to try and prefilter the water as well. ive never done it but you can read about with a search

I would go ahead and buy the DE so you can add it this weekend when you can babysit it. I got mine from Lowes in the pool supply area.

You are making it!

Kim

OK so the million dollar question is where's "the very end" of the SLAM process? I know we have the 3 tests, but the water clarity one confuses me a bit. I know from pictures on here that "clear" water is perfectly transparent, almost invisible, but is that the requirement before SLAM completion? I understood with the sand filter it can take a couple weeks to finish getting the particles out.

My combined chlorine loss from around 9pm Sunday to 7pm yesterday was about 3ppm which means my overnight must be quite minimal. My CC before I started was .5 (would that go up during the test?)

The definition of clear water is no algae present. So, to me that means no cloud when you brush the bottom, no green spots on shelves or rocks or waterline grout. No cloud in the deep end that you can't see through. It will take a little longer for the water to get TFPC-clear.

you need to filter out all the dead algae and get the water crystal clear. you are getting close, but its one of those things where you want to go to 100%. you've had this mess for weeks and you are getting close, don't skip on the last 5% and risk having to do it all over again. the water will get crystal clear, as in I can throw a quarter into my deep end of the pool and with the pumps off, I can tell if its heads or tails. of course your pool is a bit deeper. but your pool really is going to get that clear. based on your picture yesterday, you are not there. the water looked pretty hazy.

have you removed your lights? I forget and am too lazy to go back and read :)

if you feel your water is getting pretty clear, then you add the DE and it should help finish off clearing the pool. BUT, are you still getting dead algae clouds blowing off when you brush the sides and bottom of the pool? if so, keep at it. brush as much as possible and keep vacumming it.

but kimkat said, you need to be around when you do the DE for backwashing, as it will probably need it a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.