UPDATED - PH Issues

Re: PH Issues

I'm not sure when it was lower or by how much because when you add your results to your sig, they flow backwards to all your posts. Take your results out of your sig so they'll stay current for the post you make.

It looks like you last posted 14 days ago so you should certainly expect some rise. It looks like you posted a pH of 7.4 on Jan 11th. It's certainly not unusual to add acid weekly in a pool as young as yours.

Your post seems that you think the condition is abnormal. Other than a fairly new pool and an SWG, to me, it seems your pH rise is quite normal.

I understand the PH but the TA rising from 90 to 130 in a couple of weeks could be considered normal as well?

Assuming you didn't add any baking soda, soda ash, PH Up, or borax, it seems a little unusual to me. You do see unexplained TA increases now and then, but it isn't common the way rising PH is common.

I did not think so from what I have been told and what I have learned, thus my concern. With the PH, I understand that it is going to rise naturally an maybe even a little more since I have a waterfall and a SWG. But the TA thing just has me confused.

As far as adding anything, I have not with the exception of Acid. I clean my filter, strainers etc. but that is all I have done since it was at 90. Absolutley no chemical of any sort has been added since.

chem geek said:
In fact, if you were truly adding one gallon of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid), then this would have the pH drop from 8.2 down to 7.3 and the TA would drop from 120 ppm down to 90 ppm. After that, the pH would then rise. So your TA should be dropping by around 30 ppm per week if you were adding a gallon of acid every week. Richard

Just trying to understand the chemistry a little better.

Are you saying then that the TA will go down with the addition of Muriatic Acid but it will not go back up when the pH raises again if no other additives were added?

AV8TOR said:
Are you saying then that the TA will go down with the addition of Muriatic Acid but it will not go back up when the pH raises again if no other additives were added?

Yes. There are really two situations. Plaster less then one year old will raise PH, TA, and CH levels rapidly when the plaster is fresh and slower after that. Other than that, acid lowers both PH and TA, and aeration raises PH without changing TA. Every other way of raising PH, other than aeration, will raise both PH and TA.

OK... Now this is funny!!!! :lol:

I received a phone call yesterday morning on my way to work and my wife informs me that this weird truck was there again and the guy went on the side of the house. Well this has been happening very frequently and I have no idea who this guy is. Kind of bothered me that someone keeps stopping by my house like that. Anyway, I thought about this and decided to call the pool company who used to service the pool prior to me moving in, 5 months ago. Come to find out, they have still been servicing the pool even though we were not paying for it. Somehow it made it to the office so we dint get billed but it didn’t make it to the service guy.

Now this explains how my pools PH would go from 7.0 up to 8.2 in a matter of a week without me adding anything at all!!! The moron who was not even suppose to be there kept jacking it up on me not knowing my purpose and what I was doing or even that I was doing anything at all. Heck, he probably has a post on here asking why PH keeps going own naturally instead of up!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

Well this should be cancelled now and I can continue to get my pool where I want it, not where someone else wants it!!! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.