New Inground Pool Owner - pool closed two seasons...help!

Just moved in...inground pool not operated for two seasons...I got the system up and filtering...Checked the levels with a very old test kit (ordered a Taylor..its here in three days).. I took my water to be tested at the local pool store..while I wait for the Taylor. Here are the numbers from the test:

TDS - 800
CYA -56
Tot. Chlorine - 6.5
Free Chlorine - 0 (even after adding over 500oz. of clorox concentrated bleach)
ph - 8.4
total alkalinity - 138
total hardness 305

I added muriatic acid tonight in the recommended dosage.

Water is Murky but can see down to about 2.5 feet.

Pool store has told me that their calculator says I would need 28 bags (1lb each)....yes...28 bags! To get the FC level high enough to do any good. He was even amazed.
I had not intention of using Burn Out 35...and I have been adding Clorox...His comment was that the clorox simply leaves the pool too quickly to ever reach the level I need.
My pool is 34 x 16 and 3 ft at shallow...9 at deepest but it has the old rounded shape at the deep end..so calculating gallons is difficult. My phone app says 24480...the guy at the pool store says its more like 16500....thats obviously a huge diff.

Anyway...my main question is: what are my options to SLAM the pool? Pool store suggested maybe putting a pump in and draining a foot off and adding a foot of fresh water multiple time vs. buying over 200 dollars worth of his chemicals.

Thanks for any help.

:wave:

No point in offering advice based on pool store testing since we do not believe them.
And please do not heed any of their horrible advice. Bleach is fine ... nearly all of us use it in our pools (some more than others).

You need to verify the numbers with your kit, then we determine path forward about when to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. Nothing currently points to the need to replace any water.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.