Help! New Constuction Inground liner pool bottom advise

metalx

Jun 16, 2015
Augusta kansas
Ok this is my first post. In process of putting in my own 20x40 inground liner pool. We are finally down to the end of construction and need imput on what to use on the bottom of the pool. Looked at using pool krete premix but not sure if there is something better or easier/cheaper. I have friends that helped out with the decking around the pool that have some concrete experience. We will be doing the work ourselves as well. We have had a lot of rain here in Kansas this year so I have had to repair/remove dirt from the hopper and walls. We used lime screenings to repair with. I will post a few pics here but really need some peace of mind on what to use on the bottom. Please Help!

IMG_0182.jpgIMG_0260.jpgIMG_0261.jpgIMG_0306.jpg

Welcome to the forum. :wave: Poolcrete is probably the most sensible but it does require a different skill set than you may be used to.

I did not DIY my pool floor because I didn't have the skills...I used poolcrete

I have a thread going about doing what your doing....LOL.....for the sides and slope we used regular concrete and then raked it to provide a tooth for the finish coat. This gave the pool its wall dimensions.

After the cure of the sides the top coating and the bottom was a sand mix - no aggregate. That was troweled on over the scratch coat. My problem was the idiot driving the mixer added extender and water and the mix was soup...not good....you want a slump of 4-5? - something good to trowel and not too wet. get in on and smooth away. use a pool trowel and keep it smooth. It should taper into the steel sides or you can round it a bit - it is quite the artistic flare. Your rough coat should be close to the finished dimensions - the top coat being a half to 3/4" thick.

I had to grind after because of the soup mix provided and so I had trowel marks to remove. It took about 9 hours to get the pool somewhat presentable because the cement was too wet and refused to set - it should be about a 2 hour process.

To get the cement on the walls we threw it on with a shovel, then raked it out :)

If you have water coming in....all the more fun....I over dug and added a foot of gravel to the bottom and buried a submersible pump and ran it on a timer to keep out the water.

You can see where my sides came off due to the fishers of water and the drainage pump in the center.....such fun memories

I am not a pool guy.....first build.....seems to be working so far:

So here is the first picture after the finish coat:

And here is the bottom of the poo where the fishers of water ran the cement coat off. This was repaired with hydraulic cement and several beers.

Any trowel marks I ground off smooth with a cement grinding disk (home depot $2) and any voids I patched with basically thin set mortar.

Last edited:
You wild and crazy guys who build your own pools!!! I don't know if I should commend or commit you!! LOL!!! I'll say this.... you've all got my sincerest and deepest admiration!!! :bowdown:

Good luck! I can't wait to watch your build! Take care. Suz.

Almost forgot, tape over your bottom drains with duct tape so they do not get any cement in the screw threads and you can just work them into the smooth bottom. trim off the excess tape so it just makes a nice round seal and it will peel of later leaving a nice clean bottom drain opening. As the finish coat sets you can work it very smooth.....way better than I did if your mix is right. You can kneel on a piece of foam board to distribute you weight and just work out the trowel marks :)

We hired out the pool bottom on our DIY build, they used a mix from the concrete company that didn't have aggregate and was pretty dry. After watching them sweat it out in the sun for most of the day I am glad I paid to have it done. We had plenty of other projects that were a little more tolerant of error or could be corrected unlike the pool bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.