Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Easy Touch Freeze Protection Setting

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Pentair Easy Touch Freeze Protection Setting

Our Pentair Easy Touch System is kicking on the pump at an air temperature of about 36° for "freeze protection". This is really frustrating and a big waste of money having the pump run all night (and sometimes all day) until the temperature rises. Is there any way to adjust this setting to something more reasonable, say 28°? I have read through the owner's manual and I can't find where this setting is adjustable. Thanks!
    15,323 gallon inground pool, Wetedge Primera Stone plaster, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntelliFlo 4x160 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch control panel, Pentair Kreepy Krauly. No spa, no heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Easy Touch Freeze Protection Setting

TEX
    The same thing happened to me last year. The pump would turn on and stay on and I didn't like it. I just turned the FREEZE PROTECTION off on the Easy Touch System. Now the pump has it's own freeze protection built in. The pump will turn on for about 10 seconds every minute on low speed. This setting I don't think can be adjusted or turned off. Good Luck.
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

3. Back To Top    #3

Calibrate your air temp setting to a higher than actual value. I set mine 5 degrees warmer than actual so my pump will not run until the true ambient air temp at the pump skid is 30, which is indicated as 35. I have an intelliflo and was not aware that the onboard computer has a built in freeze guard. I wonder how it knows the temp. If it's from the air sensor on the easy touch or intellitouch then what I'm doing is delaying it as well. It would seem rather damaging for a pump to cycle on/off every minute for hours/days at sub freezing temps. Besides, if it's cold enough to freeze water in minutes the pool equipment should already be drained.

4. Back To Top    #4

tmoss,

You can set your air temp on the console to any value you want, But the 4x160 pump will run under a freeze condition anyways. The 4x160 must have an internal thermostat that senses the air temp. This is useful for pool owners that do not have an Easytouch system or other control panel, but just the pump.
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yes, the 4 x 160 VS does have internal freeze protection. This, from the Owner's Manual:

"To protect the IntelliFlo 4 pump electronics from damage due to freezing conditions, the pump will switch it
    self on to generate internal heat when the air temperature drops below 40° F. This feature is not intended to
    protect the system plumbing from freezing."
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

6. Back To Top    #6

I signed into TFP this morning to lookup this exact problem. The pump switches on every minute or less, cycles, and the cuts out again. Very annoying. It's not cold enough here for the plumbing to freeze. So what do we do? Kill all power to the pump?
    12,000G, Cartridge, IG-Plaster, Pentair easytouch 8, Intelliflo VS 3050, Intellichlor IC40, Safe-T 3 cover-pool

7. Back To Top    #7

If the freeze protection is turned off on the various programs and the pump cycles on & off still.
    It is the internal freeze protection of the pump. The only way to stop this is to remove power to the pump.
    I would personally not do this just in case of. You never know.
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump