Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do NOT use trichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

Do NOT use trichlor

Was working in the den and had a rerun of Law and Order on for background noise. The detectives executed a search warrant, went to the plastic bin next to the hot tub and found .... CHLORINE!!!

Trichlor tabs!

The spa owner was convicted of murder in short order. Or maybe it was the hottie in the tub with him taht was convicted. Sorry, like I said, I was trying to work.

But it all makes sense in a weird sort of way, doesn't it?
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do NOT use trichlor

P.S. I thought I should mention that I did NOT make this up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gtm
    Was working in the den and had a rerun of Law and Order on for background noise. The detectives executed a search warrant, went to the plastic bin next to the hot tub and found .... CHLORINE!!!

Trichlor tabs!

The spa owner was convicted of murder in short order. Or maybe it was the hottie in the tub with him taht was convicted. Sorry, like I said, I was trying to work.

But it all makes sense in a weird sort of way, doesn't it?
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you saying that in the episode someone was poisoned with chlorine? Or that they used Trichlor in their hot tub and killed their victim with an acid bath?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

No, no, nothing like that.

The chlorine was being used for something involving aging wine bottle corks for use in making counterfeit bottles. Somehow because of this (I wasn't following too closely), the detectives decided the key to solving the murder was to identify someone who had "access to chlorine".

Then they went in, found the guy in a hot tub, opened the bin, found a bucket of trichlor tabs, and then one of the detectives waves around a tab and says, "Arrest him!"

What struck me as funny was they were so amazed at finding such a thing near a homeowners pool or spa. Can you imagine the subsequent interrogation?

Detective: "So, where did you get the chlorine? And don't hand us that 'pool store' line again!"
    Suspect: "Really, I got it at Leslie's!"
    Detective: "Leslie who? And what exactly were you doing with the chlorine?"
    Suspect: "I was using it to sanitize my spa!"
    Detective: "Yeah right! Do you really expect a jury to buy THAT story!?"

Sorry, I should've explained a little better, but it struck me as really funny that "possession of chlorine" would seem so strange to the writers of the show and I just dashed off the message.

Gary

5. Back To Top    #5

Well now, doesn't that make you think? Even TV writers know that you shouldn't rely solely on tri-chlor to sanitize a spa or pool Someone has obviously done their reading here.

OK - time to fess up - which member writes for Law & Order????

Gary - thanks for the update on Julie and the size of your family (and, no I hadn't forgotten that :P )

Ted
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Ted! It is especially ironic that it was a Trichlor tab, isn't it? In addition to laughing thinking about the Law and Order interrogation, I also got this great vision of someone in a uniform (TFP logo on the arm) standing next to my pool back in the green days waving a tab at the pool service guy (aka, the Pool Fool) saying, "What were you thinking?!" -- Cheers, Gary

7. Back To Top    #7

Ahhhh. The synopsis of that episode is here.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

chemgeek, that was for sure the one. But on reading the synopsis, I have to say that it was definitely the hottie that was convicted, and not the wine bozo. Also, it's apparent that chlorine was a very, very, very small part of the story. I guess it's obvious that I'm getting into this pool care thing way too much. All I heard and watched was the reference to chlorine!

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, it's apparent that chlorine was a very, very, very small part of the story. I guess it's obvious that I'm getting into this pool care thing way too much.All I heard and watched was the reference to chlorine! All I heard and watched was the reference to chlorine!
    Pooliosis?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Pooliosis?
    Julie says it "brainsirottingititus", but I like your diagnosis better ...

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Pooliosis?
    Julie says it "brainsirottingititus", but I like your diagnosis better ...
    Well, Gary, whichever one makes you feel better, we'll roll with that!
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi Joyce. I should've added that while Julie thinks that I am way, way too into this, she also thinks that the pool is gorgeous since I took over. And she also doesn't worry anymore about whether it's safe for the kids to swim while the pool is green! Not because she trusts me, you understand, but because the pool is never green anymore. Amounts to the same thing, though, doesn't it? ... Gary

13. Back To Top    #13

Gary,

....yeppers, it sure does!................well, that is my story and I am sticking to it!

p.s. listen to Julie

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Even TV writers know that you shouldn't rely solely on tri-chlor to sanitize a spa or pool Someone has obviously done their reading here.

Ted
    Now, if there had been a bottle of bleach next to the Bucket, there wouldn't have been a problem and the investigators would have just moved on.

AND we would know for sure that a writer also writes here.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)