Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: should I do anything or just wait until spring?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    108

    should I do anything or just wait until spring?

    I tested my pool today here's what I've got


    FC - 8
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.8 (if I'm reading it right...I have a hard time really telling the color)
    TA - 120
    CYA - 200+/- (I'm ballparking this at 200-250)


    The water is blue and beautiful and has been since I took over the pool in Sept. Do I need to do anything now or just wait until spring? I'm not sure of the water temp, put it's pretty chilly.

    TIA
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

  2. Back To Top    #2
    spishex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: should I do anything or just wait until spring?

    Looks acceptable to me. I'd check to make sure there are no leaves or anything inside and cover it back up.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    108

    Re: should I do anything or just wait until spring?

    we don't use a cover...just keep the leaves out, run the pump about 4 hours at night (unless it gets below freezing and then I leave it on), and run the polaris about once every two weeks.
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

  4. Back To Top    #4
    AV8TOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth TX
    Posts
    211

    Re: should I do anything or just wait until spring?

    OK I am new to this and learning myself and I ask this only to learn more but I am curious to his 200+/- CYA number. Sounds awful high to me and with its influence on chlorine isn’t the FC of 8 low? Pool School shows a Chlorine/CYA chart and it only goes up to 100 and that is FC 7. It’s not a linear chart but if you interpolate the data at 200 CYC the FC would need to be at least 14 to be effective. Am I missing something?
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,085

    Re: should I do anything or just wait until spring?

    You are correct if this pool was going to be used and kept warm, but since it's shutting down for the winter, they can probably get away with a lower than ideal chlorine level and deal with the high CYA in the spring. If they want to play it safe, they can either 1) keep the FC high, probably at least 10 ppm which is around 5% of the CYA level which may be OK in colder temperatures or 2) use an algaecide such as PolyQuat 60. Since they haven't seen algae yet, their pool may be a lucky one somewhat low in nutrients for algae. The guidelines in the chlorine/CYA chart are to handle the nearly worst-case so that virtually all pools are algae free.

    Probably the best thing to do is to use winter rains to dilute the pool water since that's free.

    Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  6. Back To Top    #6
    AV8TOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth TX
    Posts
    211

    Re: should I do anything or just wait until spring?

    Thanks CG. Does the PolyQuat reduce the CYA or just work against the algea while it is in that state of risk?
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    108

    Re: should I do anything or just wait until spring?

    Quote Originally Posted by AV8TOR
    Thanks CG. Does the PolyQuat reduce the CYA or just work against the algea while it is in that state of risk?
    I can help by at least answering part of that question. Nothing, except diluting (adding water) reduces CYA. Once it is up, it's up. The only way to bring it down is by adding water.
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,085

    Re: should I do anything or just wait until spring?

    Quote Originally Posted by AV8TOR
    Thanks CG. Does the PolyQuat reduce the CYA or just work against the algea while it is in that state of risk?
    PolyQuat just inhibits algae growth and does not affect CYA. As noted above, dilution of the water lowers CYA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •