Non-copper cartridge alternative?

Mar 12, 2015
Modesto, CA
Ok so the frustration starts...I have been reading and tweaking chems and nerding out and have successfully gotten all of my levels perfect. Once my levels all held consistent for multiple months, I added boric acid to get my borates at around 45ppm. All is well, water is crystal clear (although I cannot say that I 'feel' any difference after adding the borates) and maintenance is super easy. However, my daughter's blonde hair is turning a little green. After researching, I found out that my Fusion Soft Nature2 SWG cartridge adds a trace amount of copper to my pool as an algaecide, which also causes green hair. I am not ok with having perfect levels only to still get green hair! It is a very slight green, but I don't want any.

I have looked around and do not see any copper-free cartridges and I cannot figure out how to open this cartridge to remove anything. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks!

I think I have seen a couple of folks post here how they just cut the cartridge open, removed the metal beads and glued it back together.

That is why Nature2 is not,recommended around here. Keying your chlorine level where it needs to be will keep,the algae away without metals.

Welcome to TFP

Awesome then I will just drill them out. Thank you so much for the quick and informative replies and for saving me the cost of buying new cartridges every year. The pool company recommended this SWG but also helped direct me to places to find it cheaper than they sold it for, so I assumed the recommendation was because it was a good product and not because of kickback.

Last question - will the minerals dissipate on their own over time? Or is water replacement the only way to get the copper out? I am in Cali and we are in a severe drought, so I am obviously trying to avoid draining the pool.

- This site rocks!

Awesome then I will just drill them out. Thank you so much for the quick and informative replies and for saving me the cost of buying new cartridges every year. The pool company recommended this SWG but also helped direct me to places to find it cheaper than they sold it for, so I assumed the recommendation was because it was a good product and not because of kickback.

Last question - will the minerals dissipate on their own over time? Or is water replacement the only way to get the copper out? I am in Cali and we are in a severe drought, so I am obviously trying to avoid draining the pool.

- This site rocks!
There is a product called CuLator that's supposed to remove copper. I've never used it. Use the search box up in the corner to find threads about it.

Metal sequestrants can keep copper from reacting with things. A sequestrant is like the hard candy shell on an M&M. The chocolate's still in there, you just don't see it or have it melt in your hand. Same with a sequestrant - the metal is still there, it just doesn't stick to your hair. Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Use the search box for green hair. I know somewhere there is a recommendation for a shampoo that removes the green. I believe pretreatment with ketchup has also been mentioned.

Squirt ketchup on the hair, rub it through then shampoo. One posting said her hair was army olive drab green and that got it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.