Replaster - Tile Trim in Pebble Finish

Jaimslaw

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
San Diego, CA
I am going with a mini pebble finish for my replaster project. As far as replacing the step and spa seat tile trim with new tile, how much more difficult (expensive) does this make the job as opposed to if the finish was going to be, say a plaster or plaster quartz finish? (My trim is a line of two rows of small squares - a fairly dated look, I know). Seems like so many gallery pics of pebble finished pools do not have any tile trim on the steps and shelves. I realize its an added expense to demo out the existing tile trim and reset the new replacement tile trim (about $15 a linear foot); but more than a couple PB doing bids for my replaster have tried to get me to go for a cleaner look - ie, no tile trim (existing water line tile to remain).

Just wondering if tile trim poses any build or quality issues for the PB in a pebble install. My assumption is that it would make no difference whether its a plaster or a pebble finish.

No difference, and trim line isn't dated at all IMO. It's timeless I think. I also prefer Quartz finish for smoothness and cost, as pebbles can easily be double a plaster finish. Quartz being somewhere in the middle.

Two pbs said that any pebble type finish makes any curve in a step tile,trim problematic as it's hard to get the pebble to show up in the gap occurring in tiles in the radius part of the curve. Said it also risks scratching the tile as they go thru the acid wash to expose the pebble. Seems like spotter tiles (square 3 or 4" tile rotated to a diamond shape and spaced apart from one another) is doable.

They all want me to go for the "clean" look, meaning no trim tiles except those spotter tiles. IN looking at a lot of pebble finishes, you just don't see a lot of trim tile, so there may be some issues with trim tile in these pebble finishes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.