Changing my sand mid-season (post BQ conversion)

Husky25

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
"East of the River" CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I changed my sand once before, but it was at the end of the season. When I close my pool, I disconnect the tank from the plumbing, so removing the the top shell from the base is easy enough at that time. Being mid-season, the tank is already connected to the plumbing. My question is do I have to disconnect the tank this time to change my sand?

Here is my set up. Does anyone have any opinions?

20150609_1935141_zps8j5xw2gm.jpg

It's too dark to see.

If the pipes enter from the side, no. If they enter at the top, yes.

A shop vac is the fastest way to empty it. When refilling, add some water to cushion the impact when you pour the sand in over the laterals and rubberband a baggie over the standpipe so no sand accidentally fins it's way down into the clean side of things or you'll get to vacuum it out of the pool later.

Thanks Richard.

Yes the pipes enter from the side. That is my multiport valve to the left of the tank.

On top is a black cap (That doesn't seem to want to budge at all) and the pressure release valve.

Silly questions, but I have to ask...

Do you have the wrench for the cap?

Did you release the pressure on the system?

Not silly questions.the answers are:

1) No. I was unaware that there is a special wrench for the cap. Can you post a link or picture? My Father and I tried a strap wrench before we undid the 27 bolts around the belt.

2) Yes I release the pressure on the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.