Hayward Skimmer in Intex Ultra Frame AGP

Doing my skimmer install Friday and Saturday. I noticed you don't have anything supporting the skimmer except the soft shell of the pool, have you had any issue with that or does it seem like it might weigh too much? I'm thinking about running hard PVC down to the ground for support, but not sure if that's necessary.
Mine is naturally supported by the pipe going over to the original suction port. I really can't say if it is necessary, but I'm sure this helps support the skimmer, however, all the skimmer weight is supported by the liner and I have had no issues.

IMG_0389.jpg

It's a Coleman AG pool, basically an Intex for all intents and purposes. I was worried that with the walls ability to flex a little, the weight of a gallon of water tugging downward would be enough to stretch the liner above to skimmer.

That makes sense. Every install I recall seeing (including mine) is unsupported. It shouldn't hurt to pipe it to the ground. Mine is the Intex ultra-frame and they are designed to move several inches - that's why I used the flexible PVC. Yours is probably more like the picture above.

That makes sense. Every install I recall seeing (including mine) is unsupported. It shouldn't hurt to pipe it to the ground. Mine is the Intex ultra-frame and they are designed to move several inches - that's why I used the flexible PVC. Yours is probably more like the picture above.

If you are referring to my post, that is an 18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame.

No, I meant the adapter piece that comes with the skimmer that lets you connect a suction cleaner to the skimmer, catching all the leaves and such in the skimmers basket rather than the pumps basket

Honestly thinking about returning this suction cleaner to get an inexpensive robotic one. Adapter to run it through skimmer basket won't get a good seal, and I've had to empty my pumps basket 3 times already. Not to mention I'm terrified for my filter, with all the dirt going into it now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Intex robot does a really good job, especially considering the price. I got mine last year on Amazon for under $50. I never need to manually vac any more. I leave it hooked up 24x7 (split it off with a tee made from PVC so it and the regular eyeball can both run at the same time).

The Intex robot does a really good job, especially considering the price. I got mine last year on Amazon for under $50. I never need to manually vac any more. I leave it hooked up 24x7 (split it off with a tee made from PVC so it and the regular eyeball can both run at the same time).

It connects to the return line? That sounds more like a pressure cleaner than robotic. All the robotic cleaners I've seen connect to an electrical outlet and and have their own self-contained pump, not hooking up to your pool's pump at all.

Yes, it is a pressure side cleaner. It has a slot on the bottom thru which it sucks in debris which then gets captured by a screen that you remove to clean. Mine sucks up everything from fine silt to large leaves.

What are you using for a suction side cleaner? I have an Aqua Bug and love it. Cleans the bottom spotless in about an hour.

I hook it up to my original suction port using a leaf canister (with a hairnet in the basket) to catch most of the debris before it gets to the filter.

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

What are you using for a suction side cleaner? I have an Aqua Bug and love it. Cleans the bottom spotless in about an hour.
You have the Hayward 1.5HP pump. The intex pump I have was never powerful enough to run an Aqua Bug.
How do you like the 2 SWG's? I've been debating whether to get a 2nd because one doesn't seem to be enough. Or get a different brand entirely.

My previous Intex sandfilter & 3/4HP pump could run the Aqua Bug, but it took much longer to clean the pool.

The first SWG was a gift from a friend (still in the box, he never hooked it up last season and did not set the pool up this year), only cost me a case of his favorite brew.

I found that as we got into peak swimming season I was running 6 hours and still needed to add bleach every 2nd or 3rd day. Not wanting to run my 1.5HP pump that long I added the second SWG. The longest I ran was 5 hours each, for a total of 10 hours FC production in 5 hours time. This kept my FC at target with water temps in the high 80's and daily use. This weekend I will dial them back to 4 hours each, maybe 4hrs & 3hrs each, as the temps and use drop.

I love my SWG, and will always have one. I hope to get two more seasons out of this pool and SWG (maybe more) and will replace with a hard sided pool and proper SWG.

The Intex was bought as a 'try it out' project to see if I would truly enjoy the investment of a 'permanent' pool. I would say that all my 'upgrades' speak volumes on how much we enjoy the pool.

I hook it up to my original suction port using a leaf canister (with a hairnet in the basket) to catch most of the debris before it gets to the filter.

View attachment 68722

View attachment 68723

Using Hayward's penguin cleaner. Same as the typical ladybug, but looks cooler. I was thinking about doing that with one of the original suction holes, and also using it as a drain that's below the surface. What size is the PVC fitting that goes through yours?

- - - Updated - - -

Found a pic and guess it looks like a 1.5" PVC. Probably do that over the winter then cuz I'll need to drain the pool low enough to enlarge the hole.

I've replaced all wall fittings with standard Hayward 1-1/2" fittings. Luckily I didn't have to enlarge the holes.

I picked Wanda the Whale as it was the lowest price of the aqua bugs at the time. I haven't manually vacuumed the pool at all this season, and I don't miss it at all. I love my suction side cleaner.

I've replaced all wall fittings with standard Hayward 1-1/2" fittings. Luckily I didn't have to enlarge the holes.

I picked Wanda the Whale as it was the lowest price of the aqua bugs at the time. I haven't manually vacuumed the pool at all this season, and I don't miss it at all. I love my suction side cleaner.

Lucky. My pool had 2 suction hose, both of which where either 3/4" or 1", don't recall which.

My original intention was to use the original intake as a dedicated vacuum port but for some reason I get better results when I use the skimmer. When using the original intex intake the water level in my leaf basket at the pump starts to drop (cavitation?). Also when I use the skimmer to vacuum I can use a skimmer sock to catch the junk before it gets in my sand filter.

I leave the valve on that intake just cracked open to avoid standing water in there (I close it when I vacuum), with the skimmer valve always wide open.

If I was to do it all over again I would cap off the original intake.

Dom
Hi Dom,
Not sure if you’ll see this message since it’s 5 years later. When you said you would cap off the original intake, what is you have two intakes? Would you cap off both? What is the advantage to capping off the intake /s? How do you cap off the intake - with something other than the black plug?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.