Trichlor pucks and Bleach?

May 27, 2015
Edmond, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is it a bad idea to have both the tabs and liquid bleach to chlorinate the pool?

Here are my latest test results:
TC- .5 (based on Taylor basic test)
B- 1
ph- 7.2
FC- 1.5 (based on tf100)
CC- 1.5 (based on tf100)
CH- 175/200 I wasn't 100% sure on this one
TA- 90
(today I didn't run the CYA, but yesterday it was cloudy, but could clearly see the bottom dot, so I added cyuranic acid last night and plan to wait to test later this week)

the he kicker is I have had the tabs in the pool since I opened and the CYA and FC have not gone up...(which I have added bleach also)

am am I counter balancing? Any advice is appreciated.

I think you misinterpreted the CC result. It's probably 0, not 1.5, because I suspect you added the R-0003 drops and the color didn't change. The CC is the number of FAS-DPD drops needed to clear the pink/red after the R-0003 is added. If there is no pink/red, then that's 0 drops so 0 ppm CC.

You can use both bleach and Trichlor to chlorinate the pool but of course you don't mix those two in concentrated form together. You can use the Trichlor to raise your CYA level if it's low, though it will do this slowly. You can use the Trichlor when on vacation to maintain chlorine in the pool for around a week.

Your FC level should get higher as the CYA starts to climb. It might be OK now but will likely get used up in sunlight very quickly with no CYA in the water so probably best to raise it some.

You probably aren't seeing a rise in FC because it's getting broken down by the UV in sunlight too quickly. As for the CYA from the Trichlor, for every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm so that will take a while to rise from that so your adding some separately is the normal thing to do.

You can do both, simultaneously even.

I was out of town for four days so I loaded up my puck floater and set it adrift. The pucks dissolved down to slivers but they were still there and I needed FC. So I just poured it in as usual and ignored that floater bobbing around.

Just don't pour the bleach right onto the pucks, and don't mix Cal-hypo and Trichlor, because they can react with some violence.

Thank you both! I have added significant amounts of cyuranic acid and still my CYA levels aren't going up much...water is blue but still a bit cloudy... I am running my pool sweep when I am running my pump (should I stop that? It is on 'filter mode' at the filter setting)...I have 3 pucks that have been in the float for about a week and a half and are not completely dissolved)... And I have also added a 121oz of concentrated 8.25% bleach both last night and tonight...wondering what else I need to be doing...

Thank you both! I have added significant amounts of cyuranic acid and still my CYA levels aren't going up much...water is blue but still a bit cloudy... I am running my pool sweep when I am running my pump (should I stop that? It is on 'filter mode' at the filter setting)...I have 3 pucks that have been in the float for about a week and a half and are not completely dissolved)... And I have also added a 121oz of concentrated 8.25% bleach both last night and tonight...wondering what else I need to be doing...
If those pucks last that long, you might need to check the floater is set wide open. The slots do open and close on most of them.

They are as open as the get... They are from last season... Previous owner had them... When we bought the house in September, it was a brand new container of them... Do they expire?

They are as open as the get... They are from last season... Previous owner had them... When we bought the house in September, it was a brand new container of them... Do they expire?
As long as they stay dry, I imagine they'll outlast either of us. I usually set the pucks on edge to expose more surface to water. When they stack, nothing much circulates between the pucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.