Trichlor, Lithium Hypochlorite and Inline Chlorinator

cvgnus

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2015
Massapequa, NY
Hello all,

I will be transitioning to the TFP method of pool care but currently have some expensive pool supplies I would like to use up before I fully transition. I currently use granular trichlor through the skimmer strictly for cya addition when needed. I use lithium hypochlorite for daily chlorination also through the skimmer (never use trichlor and lithium on the same day). I also have about 24 lbs of trichlor pucks to use up (probably a few years worth of cya for me) so once my granular trichor is used up I would like to use the trichlor pucks through an inline chlorinator for cya addition. My question is this, when I use the trichlor pucks in the chlorinator and make sure to turn the valve off, can I still use the lithium through the skimmer without creating a hazard? Also if happen to leave the chloinator valve on will I create a hazard? I have a very over sized pump (70 GPM) and over sized filter (27 SQ FT) for my size pool, just wanted to tell you this in case it may have an impact on this.

Thank you

The lithium hypochlorite should dissolve readily so I'd add that over a return flow which will dilute it quickly. It would not be good if concentrated lithium hypochlorite met with the Trichlor in the feeder though shutting it off should minimize that risk. Just remember that for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm so it can build up rather quickly.

The nice thing about the powdered chlorine products is the shelf life (as long as they’re still sealed). I keep some around for times when I really don’t feel like going to the grocery store or someone’s child creates a substantial, unexpected chlorine demand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.