Backwash Valve - Pin Broke - Bottom Half Stuck

May 31, 2015
Flower Mound, TX
I don't know the exact one, but it's very similar to this: Hayward SP0410X502S Slide Backwash Valves for DE Filters on Sale at YourPoolHQ

So, the pin broke that holds the handle to the bottom half of the valve. This has happened before as I'm using cotter pins due to the fact that I've never been able to get the actual pin back in it. I bought a new one, but maybe it was the wrong size. Cotter pins are cheap and easy to replace. I was always able to pull the bottom half out with a large pair of needle nose pliers, but this time it won't come out. I'm pretty sure I'll break it it I keep pulling on it (possibly already have). I'm ok with replacing the valve stem at this point, but I just need to get it out oft here and I don't know what else to do other than take a large screwdriver and try breaking it apart, but my concern there is damaging bottom part or getting pieces down inside the value itself.

Any ideas on how to remove it?

If I can't get it out and have to replace the whole valve, how hard is that to do?

Welcome! :wave:

If it's stuck tight enough to break a cotter pin, it's going to be tight-tight-tight.

How much stem can you grab? I'm visualizing a pair of visegrips on the stem and some side-to-side wiggling and some up-and-down motion to break it loose. If you do get it out, I'd overhaul it. Not much to that - pry off the old O-rings, grease up some new ones, and stretch them on.

Replacing the whole valve could be anywhere from taking less time to do than to explain to turning into a massive repiping job. Without a picture, there's no way to guess.

My fault that I left out a detail. The cotter pin broke because it's Zinc. I've been unable to find brass or stainless cotter pins and the Zinc ones last 3-4 months before they corrode all the way through. Usually I can still pull the valve out fairly easily after it breaks. This time it feels stuck. I'll post some pictures.

I can grab a decent amount of the stem. However, if it's a question of just force, I'm fairly certain it's going to break before it comes out. I've overhauled it about 3 years ago, but I guess it's time to do it again.
Finesse, not force.

I'm a mechanic by trade, and I've had more experience than I care to remember dealing with frozen corroded bolts. Sometimes half an hour of tedious back-and-forth will get something out, which saves hours of further disassembly and drilling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.