pump valve setup?

RJM

Apr 5, 2015
Goleta CA
Hi,
I seem to have an overly simple pool plumbing system compared to most i have looked at. I only have 1 pipe from the pool to the pump; apparently the skimmers and main drain lines are connected under the slab. There are no valves on either side of the pump. This makes it a pain to clean the pump's leaf trap - when I remove the cover, all the water drains from the pump, which makes it impossible to prime without a lot of air getting in. I am now upgrading the pump (to a maxflo vs) and would like to install valves to eliminate this problem. I am thinking of putting in jandy valves on either side of the pum, but maybe I really only need on on the suction side? Any advice would be much appreciated.
IMG_2856.jpg

You should not valves unless the pump is many feet above the pool water level. Getting some air when opening the pump is normal.

If you have 2 skimmers, likely the floor is plumbed to one hole in a skimmer, the other hole runs from that skimmer to the other and second hole in the last skimmer runs to the pump. Float diverters under the basket allow you to adjust the flow.

OK. Thanks for explaining the plumbing, that makes sense. We do have very simple diverter plates on the underside of float valves in the skimmers. We have them positioned to cover about 1/3 of the hole, which was based on advice from our pool store.

I was only speculating but that would be the "best" setup given your pool with only a single line to the pump. We have seen some cases where the floor and skimmer lines are Teed together underground giving you no control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.