Another to Close or NOT close

JeffPenn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2007
Springfield IL
Hi Guys: I always get good info here so I thought I would try again. I live in Central Illinois so we get some pretty cold winters yet I still wish to leave the pool open.

I intend to:
Install an outdoor thermostat to run the pump whenever the outside air is less than 35 degrees.
Return equal water from skimmer and bottom drain.
Supply equal water to all jets.
Vacuum leaves from the pool as necessary all winter.
Manually shock the pool with bleach all winter as necessary.
Turn off the SWG.
Remove my Cartridge filter.

My Concern: The pool is gunite and I believe ice will form on the top of the water line. Should I be worried about damage to the gunite or surrounding concrete pool deck?

Is there anything I am missing? I have never heard of anyone doing this around here. So, am I nuts/

All comments are appreciated as we will sure miss the summer around here. :cry:

I'd close. You will get very cold weather that will require 24/7 pump operation to avoid freezing. Any disruption in electrical service or a clog in your skimmer basket from leaves or even chunks of ice could result in thousands in damages. The ice will form on the surface whether you close or not.

Another potential downside: If you're at all like me, there is a not-insignificant possibility that you will fall into your pool while cleaning out gunk in mid-winter . . . The one winter I didn't close our pool, I fell into 42 degree water - in Illinois, the water will probably be about 33. When that happened, I knew for sure that shock was a verb and not a noun . . .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.