Needing Advice...

May 23, 2015
Tucson
Howdy, all! My name is Brian and this is my first post. As you can see in my signature, I have a fiberglass pool. I just got a Taylor K-2600 FAS-DPD kit and checked my levels. Been gnashing away at my problem for the better part of six weekends now. Had an algae bloom at the end of the season last year. My filter wasn't't doing a very good job. I found and fixed any suction-side problems and bought 2 new filters. Been randomly adding 10% liquid chlorine and an algaecide and am getting nowhere! NOW that I have my test kit I have a baseline of exactly how much stuff to add. Do these numbers jibe with you all?

FC=1, so I need four gallons of chlorine to attain shock level
CC=.6
CYA=60 full sunny Tucson exposure
TA=60 need to add 127 oz. of baking soda
PH=7.0 need to add 54 oz. of Borax
Thank you all for looking/helping!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Ignore TA and if you have any aeration at all the pH is going to come up on its own. Not all parameters need us tinkering with them to attain a "perfect" number.

You had algae last year, how is it now?

If it is clear now, I would at least bring the FC up to 10 and conduct an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT).

It'still green...naturally.ACK!!! I know I need to get it to shock level, and using the pool calculator, the numbers I showed are the numbers suggested by said calculator. Does 4 gallons seem right. Heckler, over the last 5 weeks I have dumped 24 gallons in! I realize I probably just never got it to shock level so it was all for naught. I have no aeration going on either.

Welcome to TFP!

All numbers shown below are from Pool Math for a 13,500 gallon pool...

FC=1, so I need four gallons of chlorine to attain shock level
Given a CYA of 60 ppm and assuming you are still using 10% chlorine , you only need 397 oz which is just over 3 gallons. This will bring your FC to 24 ppm.

TA=60 need to add 127 oz. of baking soda
To bring TA up from 60 to 80, you would need to add only 63 oz by weight or 51 oz by volume of baking soda

PH=7.0 need to add 54 oz. of Borax
If you use Washing Soda / Soda Ash, you only need to add 31 oz by weight or 27 oz by volume to bring pH up to 7.5. This is roughly half the amount of product compared to Borax.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.