Intex 16x4 concrete slab size/spec...

ecrabb

May 25, 2015
SLC, Utah
Hi all,

First-time poster and total newbie, here. Lots of reading to do, but I'd like to go ahead and get a concrete pad poured.

First, does anybody know what the exact dimensions of the Intex 16-foot Ultra Frame? I'm a little tight on space, so the smaller the better. Would 16'6" do it? I was hoping the 16-foot dimension was marketing speak and included even the plastic feet for the legs. ;) A 14-footer would fit much better with plenty of space around, but the I like the look of the Ultra Frame much better.

Next, what's the minimum spec for the slab? I think I saw a reference to six inches with rebar, which sounds like massive overkill. I realize the pool will be north of 40,000 pounds, but on the other hand, it's perfectly distributed over the slab at around 250 pounds per square foot. Seems like much, much less stress on the concrete compared to a car on a driveway, which is often more like 1000 pounds per square foot, and not evenly distributed.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Regards,
SC

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I don't know the size of the pool but I am in complete agreement that 6" of concrete is w-a-aay overkill.

Most folks just prepare a pea gravel or sand base but if your are gonna' pour concrete, 3- 3.5" is plenty. I would personally put in some wire mesh in case it cracks.

Oh, and the reason we're doing a slab... The season is a little shorter here than more southern climates. It's looking like June-August will probably be typical, maybe part of September. But, there are still be lots of nice evenings before and after pool season, so we're thinking it'll make a really nice patio when the pool isn't up, as opposed a big round circle of gravel or sand.

I'll check with the concrete guy to see what he recommends as far as reinforcing.

Thanks for the help!

SC

I asked a similar question about a month ago, and no one was quite sure the diameter. So now that mine is back up, I have gone and measured it for you. Its' 16' in diameter from top of center post across. So that makes the outside about 16' 6" outside diameter.

You need some overhang and room, so I suggest making it no less than 17' across.

Oh, and the reason we're doing a slab... The season is a little shorter here than more southern climates. It's looking like June-August will probably be typical, maybe part of September. But, there are still be lots of nice evenings before and after pool season, so we're thinking it'll make a really nice patio when the pool isn't up, as opposed a big round circle of gravel or sand.

I'll check with the concrete guy to see what he recommends as far as reinforcing.

Thanks for the help!

SC

Your thinking was the same as us up here in the Northwest. We poured a 24x13 concrete pad our specs on the pad is 4" thick with rebar.

You need some overhang and room, so I suggest making it no less than 17' across.
Awesome. Thanks so much, Darrel! I really appreciate you taking the time to go measure for me!

Darn. That's what I was afraid of. I'm really restricted on my space, and I just don't think I can do a 17-foot pad. I have an existing patio and a rock wall on two opposite sides, and the only direction I can move things to relieve the space issue then gives me grade problems.

I think my only logical choices are a 15-foot Intex with a 16-foot pad, or a 14-foot Ultra Frame which I assume is an older model, but is still in stock with some sellers.

I prefer the gray on the Ultra Frame, but my wife will probably go for the extra foot of diameter. She was also interested in the kit that came with the salt water system... Guess that's out the window.

What about the Ultra Frame vs. standard Intex? Is there really that much difference beyond color and a slightly heavier frame, or is the liner actually better and heavier?

SC

- - - Updated - - -

Your thinking was the same as us up here in the Northwest. We poured a 24x13 concrete pad our specs on the pad is 4" thick with rebar.
Yeah, my guess is that's what he was going to do, but I'll definitely check it with him.

Thanks,
SC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.