Well hello there and WELCOME to TFP! You have come to the right place to get your pool clear! We can save you so much money it is not even funny!

Go ahead and start getting a couple or few gallons of bleach each time you shop. You are going to need it and more BUT that is just about all you are going to have to buy.

Here is one thing I want you to do-take a pick of your steps looking down. Save THAT as your before picture. Then as you are doing the SLAM take the same pic each day or every other day. That will help all of us see it change before our eyes!

I wonder if a filter deep clean might be in order with all of the gunk in the pool. Here is the link on how to do it.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

Please feel free to ask anything no matter how small. We want you to really understand what you are doing so YOU will be in control of your pool.

HUGS!

Kim

I just wanted to welcome you and now that you are on board with the TFP method, I felt I should share another bit of news with you, chances are you were taken to the cleaners on that equipment you replaced, unless there was a lot of ice damage from it being left full in the winter, etc. I say this because sand generally does not go bad, pool stores will tell you it goes bad to sell you a new filter, etc., but the truth is it can generally be cleaned up with a deep cleaning in under an hour with a garden hose, the stuff is millions of years old afterall.

Tim, what is that? And to think, this is the picture hours after the excessive amounts of shock was put it and working. the real beginning picture would have just been a pool of black sludge! I am really starting to think that the pool was never winterized, and wasn't open for a summer or two. I do know the house was repossessed in the middle of August, so I am sure the bank just threw the cover on it and said AS-IS. The pool had a lot of emphasis on the as-is factor.

n40sxguy, no Rural King. We have a Walmart and Tractor Supply!

The pool store people said I might have mustard algae. Of course sold me some over priced algaecide, and said "This will totally work". Didn't do squat. I do live right next to a river, and I know that may how I got something funky. Kids in river, then kids in pool, I heard was a big no-no. Anyway, I do notice that when my water level drops after back washing etc. there is a weird yellow ring around where the water line dropped. Algae or pollen? Lots and lots of pollen this year, my allergies are going nuts so I hope its only that.

Thanks all already for the support. I am starting to feel a little less stressed already!

All - here is an update from the pool water test from pool store. Still waiting for my test kit to come in, should be here by tomorrow or so.

FC- 0
TC- 0.24
CC-0.24
pH - 7.3
hardness - OVR 232 (recommended range 175-350ppm)
Alkalinity 143 ppm
CYA 83 ppm
Copper 0.5
Iron 0.2

Here is a picture snapped today (just after a real nasty thunderstorm... and it is still "blue")! yippee... progress.
As you can see, we have visibility ALMOST to third step.

What next? Starting SLAM tonight or wait until test kit comes in?

Thanks - all

pool 5-27.jpg

+1 on waiting for your kit. You need to test chlorine often when you SLAM so you need your kit and the fas dpd chlorine test that comes with it. You also need an *accurate* cya level which you really can't get from a pool store test.

Hopefully your kit comes in soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cloudy water has almost zero effect on the CYA test and would not cause a 30 ppm difference. The dirtiest pool water still looks clear in the measuring tube.

Liv, once your test kit comes in tomorrow post up your results (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA) and we can help you really start your SLAM.

Cloudy water has almost zero effect on the CYA test and would not cause a 30 ppm difference. The dirtiest pool water still looks clear in the measuring tube.

Liv, once your test kit comes in tomorrow post up your results (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA) and we can help you really start your SLAM.

I did say cloudy, I should have said silty which is not what she has here... take a look at my post... Green Pool in OKC - Getting ready for Weekend Attack - Page 2 number 26, that was my pool, so much silt that it did mess up the CYA. The measuring cup we pulled out of the water had tan water in it so what we thought was CYA in the dot test was silt. Once we cleared the pool overnight with FLOC, the CYA test showed 0.

test kit came in! Here is what I got.

for the chlorine test it was VERY light pink, so I am getting a reading of >.5
CC was only one drop so also >,5 so for
TC I have about a reading of one or less.

Calcium Hardness - 400

TA - 290

CYA 60

For Ph test and Cl test I got

Cl 0
Br 0
and pH 7.2

Good job!

Your Calcium hardness(CH) is a little high but not as important with a vinyl liner

You CYA is a little high. Ideal for a SLAM would be 30.

I suggest you use pool math and see how much it tells you to lower the water to get from CYA 60 to 30.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Also test your fill water to see what the CH is in it. If it is high than..........

Once you have the CYA at 30 let us know and we can go from there.

Kim

Kim, fill water assuming in what I fill the pool with? I had a water hauler come in week ago or so to fill. I don't really have to fill any other time (lots & lots of rain lately!)

It also says to lower my CYA by that much I would have to replace 50% of water. Is that safe with vinyl liner? Also, water hauling here is quite expensive. when I had them come in it was 70$ just to raise the pool level about a foot.

A CYA level of 60 is higher than we typically recommend (unless you are using a Salt Water Chlorine Generator). But it is a workable level. And your CYA will drop slowly over time due to splashout and rain (assuming you aren't adding CYA by using tablets or powdered shock).

Your pH is perfect, so I say go ahead and start your slam now. Using PoolMath, add enough bleach to get your FC to 24 or a little above, and hold it there until your SLAM is complete.

Liv, you have the test kit now, the really hard part is over (taking over your pool :) now you just need to SLAM and you on our way to a beauty of a pool...

:whoot: :whoot:

I too would say leave the CYA alone for now and tackle the SLAM, it will take more bleach / liquid chlorine with a CYA of 60, but it is manageable. Just say away from ANYTHING that is a powder or dry chemical.

welcome to TFP
you are going to be so proud in a week or so
i would reccomend the extended test directions so your test kit lasts longer
Extended Test Kit Directions
you will need to use the fas-dpd test when slamming
the liquid chlorine the pool store sells is often more cost effective than bleach if you dont have a big box store local
you will need to keep trying to scoop leaves etc out
not sure if you found the slam article yet
Pool School - How To
the trick to slam is to get the free chlorine to the slam level and keep it there, dont let it drop
for a cya level of 60 your FC level is minimum 24
test at least twice a day and adjust
the more frequent you test and adjust the more time the FC will be at slam level without dropping too low

Yes fill is the water you use to fill the pool with.

Since you have to truck in water I would SLAM with what you have. It will take more bleach but it is doable.

To help with refill and lowering the CYA over time you may want to think about a way to capture rain water for the pool. That would be an easy and cheap way to get clean water.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.