pool monitor

I heard through the grapevine that pHin was recently bought out by Hayward at a loss to initial investors and mySutro has gone belly-up. They are currently selling off assets.

The pHin news surprises me a little, despite being essentially junk they did have a product. mySutro does not surprise me at all. While pHin used pretty standard off the shelf parts mySutro was trying to invent something new. While nothing wrong with that, the way they were going about it was just embarrassing. Designing an enclosure of what the product should look like once complete and then attending pool industry shows showing off a product that doesn't exist is odd but not entirely unheard of. It is the brand new technology that will do things no other technology can, but they can't share any info about it whatsoever in case it is stolen, is where it falls right in to vaporware territory. Essentially the words of a scammer or someone in way over their head, and I'm willing to give Ravi and his team the benefit of assuming they are in the latter group.

I wonder if Hayward is planning on discontinuing the pHin eventually, not allowing chemical plan people to renew and eventually shutting down the app. Maybe when that happens I can find a pHin cheap on eBay to display on the shelve I keep my TF-100 on. As a little gag.

• Sad
Reactions: Bhamster
I heard through the grapevine that pHin was recently bought out by Hayward at a loss to initial investors and mySutro has gone belly-up. They are currently selling off assets.
Hayward Industries, Inc. Acquires ConnectedYard Inc.

The pHin Smart Monitor floats in the pool or spa water monitoring temperature and water chemistry 24/7. The pHin Mobile App notifies owners via smartphone what they should do and indicates the amount of chemicals to add to maintain healthy, balanced water. Simple to use, pre-packaged water soluble chemical pods are available through pHin's chemical subscription program. Alternatively owners can use chemicals purchased at their local store and pHin will tell exactly how much to add.

One word - Juicero!
If the pHin is the Juicero then Sutro was Skarp laser razor. An idea that sounds cool when you first hear it, then you notice they don't actually have a prototype. And their "ground breaking technology" is hidden and never shown to actually work. And then you realize that despite sounding cool in practice it would not be better than the current options and actually worse in some ways. If it worked at all. But they keep going, burning away investors' money until it all falls apart.

Oh wait, my bad. I'm repeating myself. I already made that comparison back in 2016. Reading back through, I knew that Ravi from mySutro chimed in on this thread, but I had forgotten that a Justin from pHin did as well. Would love for them to come back and give updates on what happened, I would pop some popcorn for those stories.

Think about who owns hayward....
OK, they are owned by CCMP Capital. CCMP seem s to own some great brands. This is obviously not up to date as Bass Pro Shops has recently purchased Cabellas form them, but here is their portfolio of companies

*********On Edit*********

I found this press release that says the purchase of Hayward was by both CCMP and MSD Partners, but it does not indicate a percentage of ownership between the two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.