Water turned a reddish rust looking color.

Would you recommend replacing the grids before or after the water clears
I wouldn't replace them at all unless I was certain there was something wrong with them. Now instead of repeating your question again and again, why don't you answer one? Have you been vacuuming through that filter without any DE? If not, my answer remains the same:
just add DE and see what happens.

DE Filter Tutorial. Jump to Step 11

If the screens are ripped, DE will start spraying out the returns as soon as you add the first scoop. If the grids are ruined, the pressure will skyrocket immediately and you'll see no flow. Or the pressure might just go up one psi or less and it will start filtering and everything is fine. Why spend two hundred bucks and make a bunch of work if you don't need to?

I'm not understanding standing what you mean by vacuuming with the filter. The water has been circulating through the filter this whole time. Excuse me for being a new pool owner and trying to figure things out. These forums are for asking questions and finding out info.

No I've never vacuumed with the filters. I have dolphin that vacuums bottom of pool. Thank you for responding. I will try cleaning grids really well. And using them while pool clears up. I'm guessing I should back wash ever so often as pool clears up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If after filtering out all the precipitated iron you still have a lot of iron left in the water, then you can remove that too though it will be expensive if there is a lot of it. So after you remove the precipitate, let us know and we can give you various options. It's better to not use water that has so much iron in it though you may not have a choice. Filtering the iron out before getting into the pool would also work, but again that's expensive and time consuming (many regenerations of a greensand filter, etc.).

Thank you I appreciate that. After 12 hrs. The water is night and day. The red water is gone. I can't believe after all this time and money spent at the pool they never asked if I had DE in my filter. Still have some cleaning to do as there is metals at the bottom of pool. I haven't replaced the filter grids yet. Wanted to get most of what I could with current the current grids. But after cleaning and inspecting yesterday. They will definitely need replacing. Hopefully I will be able to get it all out. I have a lot of staining on by pool walls. Is there a recommended product that with get that out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.