Going away for the weekend...

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
So I have a SWG, but it's not working (long story). I will be away for 3 days this weekend. Is there some sort of formula out there about how much chlorine I can/should dump into my pool before I leave so that it doesn't dwindle down to zero before I get back? What about if I go away for a week, again assuming that my SWG is not up and running? Should I just bring it to SLAM levels? Thanks.

Bring it to SLAM level according to your CYA and cover the pool with a solar cover if you have one n shut the pump off.

Last time we were out of town, I had one of our friends come over daily to feed the lizard and feed the pool. My pool usually consumes 3 ppm on a sunny day, so I just had them pour in a half gallon a day while we were gone.

You could do something like that, or even throw a few trichlor tabs in a floater. Super chlorinating won't guarantee you'll have some FC left when you get back.

Thanks all- CYA 40 and climbing.
Didn't want to have to buy floater and tabs given I have a SWG (frustrating!) but may not have a choice...or may just try Casey's SLAM recommendation as will only be gone for 3 days.

Your cya isn't that high. You may HAVE a Swg but you really don't unless it works. I'd float the tabs if it were me. Juicing up the pool w chlorine will work of course....but what if you're gone longer? Maybe you can have someone....ANYONE , dump some chlorine for you one of the days. That is the only problem w this whole way of doing things if you don't have a Swg.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.