Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
So our pool was filled Sunday.
I backwashed, rinsed and then filtered.
Immediately got chlorine in pool.
Hung the sock with CYA
Said add 3 lbs for my pool 13000 gallon, I added in 2 rounds
I have kept a close eye testing and here's what I got.
Day 1 1:30p
FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 120
CH 60
CYA 0

Day 1 5:00 pm
FC 9.2
pH 7.4
TA 120
CH 60
CYA 30

Day 2
Tested throughout day 6:30am- 8:02 pm
FC dropped
8.4 to 4.6 before bed
pH 7.6
TA 120
CYA 30

Day 3 7:54 am
FC 3.6
pH 7.6
TA 120
CYA maybe 20 I can see black dot lightly filled to top

12:30 pm
FC 2.6
pH 7.6
TA 120
CH 50
CYA same maybe 20

Took sample to pool store. They said my readings were
FC 2
pH 7.6
TA 110
CH 50
CYA ZERO
she said go home add 4 lbs of stabilizer. I was like um no I know it's not 0. Black dot is barely viable at top of vial. She insisted its zero.

4:17 pm
FC 3.6
pH 7.6
TA 120
CH 50
CYA I'd still say 20ish.

So that's my issue.
I bought more stabilizer just in case.
I have no idea how long it takes to fully read. And why it would read 33-30 then now it isn't.
I refuse to add 4 lbs period!!
Second. She said add to skimmer. I said no I'll add to sock and hang like I did before she looked at me stupid and said um no that's all wrong.
I told her I will not be adding to the skimmer and explained why she told me groups like this are just opinions and pool stores and techs know better.
I had to leave.
Anyways. What do you all suggest??
Would CYA drop?
How long for proper level reading that I can trust?
And do I still run my pump 24/7 this first week????
Water is clear and pretty.
Oh should I do overnight test?? Not sure if I need to slam my new pool.
Thx guys.

24 round 52 Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, taylor K-2006 kit

Last edited by a moderator:
[/IMG]http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag33/mabletonapts/20150517_160451_zps2chxatpr.jpg[/URL]

24 round 52 Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, taylor K-2006 kit

Trust your own test results, and trust pool math and trust the TFP recommended levels.

CYA is difficult to test for everyone, so dont worry. Pool store testing is notoriously incorrect, ESPECIALLY when it comes to CYA.

To test CYA properly.
go outside in natural daylight
turn your back to the sun
hold the test tube at waist level
squeeze the solution into the test tube

Most of us pour the solution back into the bottle and repeat the process a couple of times. This gives the best results and eliminates any testing error.

Why not pour CYA directly into the skimmer? Because it will Clog the filter which is not a good thing.

Dont even bother testing CYA till 5 days after you add some. Its VERY slow to register. All you end up doing is wasting test regent.
Just add what pool math says, and consider your CYA to be what you targeted in pool math.. then just wait it out.

Forget pool store testing, trust your test kit.

CYA can take up to a week to show up on the test after it dissolves.

According to PoolMath, 2 pounds would add 18ppm of CYA to your pool ... so it will be below the minimum of the test you have.

Your high reading was likely due to not having appropriate lighting conditions.

I would add another 2 pounds of stabilizer, assume your CYA is around 35ppm for now and then verify in a week.

Your FC levels look reasonable, so there should not be a need to SLAM.

Start using a 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD test so each drop is 0.5ppm or you are going to run out of reagent. In fact, order refills for the FAS-DPD and the CYA test now.

Thx for the reply. I have added almost 4 lbs of CYA.
I'll check it again Sunday. That's 1 week from initial add.
Funny you say that. I already ordered refills. Good thing too.

I'll be testing with the 10 ml mark for now for FC

As for running pump. Do I need to still be running 24/7????

24 ft round 52 in deep Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method BBB, taylor K-2006 kit

On a side note after leaving the horrid pool store (had to get 1 reagent) and wanted to see my numbers compared to theirs.
I had to go to Walmart. Poor people in my town buying up tons of shock plus and algae solution. One guy had a cart full. I just wanted to shout STOP and explain the TFP BBB method but I could tell I would not be heard. Poor people. If they only knew. I love this forum.

24 ft round 52 in deep Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method BBB, taylor K-2006 kit

Yep. I just threw-away a full container of "Pool Perfect" (not cheap) I had purchased from Leslies a couple years ago before learning the "TFP" way. :) I feel the same way as you every time I go there just to buy some liquid shock, reagent refills, or a pool accessory. Sadly, a lot of people simply believe it's too difficult to maintain a pool on their own and rely on others who are just "doing their job". Good you are taking charge of your pool.

Knowing what's in your water is the best. Relying on the mystery potions from the self ordained pool priests sucks. Bring them no more tithings and have your bleach ready in wait for the summer sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.