In-Floor Circulation v. Cleaning

Jun 14, 2010
Massachusetts
We are in the process of getting bids to build a pool. We built one at our last house and had the in-floor cleaning system (PCC-2000). The pool was in its 6th season when we left and we had no complaints, really. It worked great and I only used a vacuum 3x in all of the years we owned the pool.

I have read all of the mixed reviews here and am on the fence about going that way again. I did like the clean look of no vac in the pool but worried every winter about how well those lines would be blown out.

At any rate, here is my question. One builder recommends putting in 10 pv3 heads on the floor just for circulation. They are not engineered for placement and there is no canister. It costs $2250. Then the polaris 280 would be another $1250. In my mind, that is the cost for the in-floor cleaning system, so at that rate I would either just go for the whole system and plumb for the side cleaner to be added if needed, or do nothing at all.

The other company we like just uses the Dolphin cleaner. My husband really liked the in-floor, so that decision will have to come later. I am just curious if folks think the in-floor circulation is really that helpful. It will be a gunite, pebble, swg pool with a tanning shelf, swimout, steps but no spa.

Thanks for your help. This is all a pipe dream at this point, as I am awaiting someone to come probe the backyard for ledge. We know it is in the neighborhood and aren't willing to spend another $5-10k to get rid of it, so time will tell...

Kim

Permission to speak freely? I think putting the pv3 heads in for $2,250 just to provide additional circulation is a complete waste of money. My three returns/two skimmers even the temperature fairly well (we also have a main drain). Dirt does collect but we use a cleaner occasionally - we have a clean local environment.

How is the Polaris 280 over $2000? That is ridiculous. And boosted pressure side cleaners use the most electricity of any of the pool cleaners (kind of old technology) due to having to run 2 pumps. The in-floors also are pretty inefficient since you have to run a large pump for a good bit of time to keep the pool clean.

I would skip all that and get a $1000 electric robot.

I come from the other side of the spectrum. Had two pools before we built this one. First two we used Polaris and robot cleaners. I hated the look and the hassle of putting it in and taking it out. This pool has the in floor system and I would never go back. We run a heater in the cooler weather and you can feel the warmer water coming from the pop ups. Your environment is an important consideration in your decision. If you have a lot of trees nearby, you may be better off going with suction side cleaner. Just one man's experience!

I'm in the process of building and will be doing in-floor cleaning as well. I spoke to a number of local pool owners who had systems installed by my PB in the last 3 years. They all provided great reviews and would do it again.

Thank you for all of the responses. I really loved it at our old houses, but given we left at the five-year mark, I am curious how it is working today. Two of the PB I like don't really like these systems, and two swear by them. Hoping to make a decision by next week. Very excited we are able to finally move forward on this project.

Spool - I sent you a message. I'd love to hear about who you selected for your build in New England. We are in Massachusetts.

This sums up my thoughts on robots vs in floor cleaning, robots are cheaper and plug into a standard power outlet, when they break you can simply buy and plug in a new one. In floor cleaning cost much more, can be picky about setup, and when it breaks it is usually time to get a jack hammer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.