crooked post - drain and move?

I didn't get to pics today because it's a muddy mess out there and the deck crew was working. However, we had to shut the water off after about 8 inches in the bottom because the same post did the same thing. Every post on that pool was perfectly plumb, but as it fills, that one starts pulling in at the bottom. I didn't measure the gap but using a level and my eyeballs I would guess it to be in about 1.5" at the bottom. :( The installer said he could come back out tomorrow night, but I don't have much faith in him at this point and I really don't know what to do. If it were leaning in at the top I wouldn't be so concerned, but going in at the bottom it looks unsafe to me. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions??? We are desperate.

I don't understand how it can move. If the ground is solid and level, the top and bottom should not be able to move when they are all attached. Something is wrong somewhere - I suspect with the pool itself. An oversized bolt hole, wrong sized bolt, wrong part, or something like that.

-dave

I really don't understand it either, and neither does our pool guy. It is very level and even stays level when this happens, which also seems odd. It's like there is one bad post (or piece of rail, or *something*). Will definitely be asking about that possibility. Installer supposed to come back again tonight. Sigh.

I see a couple of possible issues.

From your picture it looks like that one post base is slightly out of level with the one or ones beside or even opposite of it. They're either higher or lower than they should be. Also, The dug out area looks a little small. It could be that it's preventing the wall from moving out equally all the way around and is forcing the movement all in one direction causing the buckling that's creating the leaning upright(s).

I had this same issue, the installers used the wrong hole pattern where the post connects to the rails

173.jpg

BBailey - thank you SO much! I will check on that. I have googled extensively and cannot find anything about this issue so I vowed to write about it when we finally have a fix. Hopefully your post will help someone else in the same boat!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is very hard to tell from the pictures what is exactly moving - the bottom in, or the top out.

The top rails really do not do much to support the pool. The stabilizer channel on the top of the pool wall and the plates on top of the legs are what ties the whole thing together.

Looking at that picture again, it looks like the top is moving out. If, check how the two stabilizer channels (curved metal pieces that go over the top edge of the pool wall) are joined. Some just but together, and others slip over each other, but in either case, the joint should be under the top cap of the leg.

If the joint is not under the top cap, then it is not stable, and it will bow out as you fill the pool.

As me about how the legs on my pool are not evenly spaced, and therefore my top rails need some "creative" bold hole patterns in them, yet none of my walls bow. (I did not install that pool - I just live with the nightmare)

-dave

Well how does the pool look? I'm assuming it's holding water n you're working on the deck Now right?

Deck and fence are done, retaining wall done, landscaping done...everything waits as the pool problems continue to plague us. We *think* it is resolved now, and we have actually gotten so far as to install return and skimmer, but again...scared to jinx it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.