Chlorine monster eating all my chlorine....

Thank you all for the help. That's actually very reassuring to hear. I think I got off easy last year since it was my first season, and I had the water delivered...used BBB all summer and had zero issues. Seeing the chlorine drop like this is pretty alarming, especially when I'm not seeing any signs of algae in the water.

After testing again, my new numbers are:

FC = 9
CC = 0
TC = 9
pH = 7.2
TA = 90
CH = still not tested
CYA = 35

P6idEPS.jpg

Picture of the pool where chlorine goes to die a horrible death.
From the shallow end. Rust stain on the top step. ^^^

- - - Updated - - -

06KC8mt.jpg

From the deep end. ^^^

DgYwekp.jpg

Closeup of steps. ^^^

LDE7Qs2.jpg

Closeup of main drain through 8 feet of water. ^^^

I know we're getting a lot of pine pollen dropping this time of year and I've been relentlessly fishing out those pink-purplish tree buds from the skimmers, but this amount of loss of chlorine in a crystal clear pool is just scary.

This on top of car troubles, and trying to get the backyard cleaned up finally from the pool excavation, and slamming definitely becomes a test of will.

You seem to have the same invisible FC eater that I do :shock:

I am convinced there is something environmental (i.e organic material of some sort) that gets into our pools and eats FC, yet does not cause Algae.

How long does the invisible chlorine monster usually take to die for you?

Got any dogs or something peeing in the pool? Ducks?

Not that I know of. I have a dog, but he's the indoor type, and the immediate pool area is completely fenced off. Maybe a neighborhood cat, but I'd think there'd have to be an army of cats peeing in the pool to see this much loss consistently.

Well last year it took nearly 2 months of SLAMing - hopefully this year it is much shorter!

I definitely admire your willpower. I'm not sure I have the stamina, or the cold hard cash to buy this much chlorine for months on end. I'm hoping Sam's club doesn't run out at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I definitely admire your willpower. I'm not sure I have the stamina, or the cold hard cash to buy this much chlorine for months on end. I'm hoping Sam's club doesn't run out at this point.

Well last time it almost broke me, meaning I was ready to drain all the water and start over. If I did not live in the country and get charged an arm and leg for water, I would have done that for sure.

That's true, because the cost of replacing a SWG just about ends up being equal to bleach over time.

There is something going on this pool. I would SLAM until it loses 1.0 or less overnight and not stop until it does.

Daily report:

1 ppm FC drop overnight

Only used 5 gallons of Clorox yesterday(I've been easily using 8 - 10 gallons per day since opening)

It was extremely dry yesterday and relatively cool as well, but it seems like the FC consumption is definitely dropping now.

Pool water still stinks like RV antifreeze pretty bad though, so looking forward to that stink leaving.

Yeah not really...about the same when all said and done.

- - - Updated - - -

mr_gunite - quick question

Do you happen to be around a bunch of fields (i.e. active farms) ? Just trying to find any similarities between our problems.

No, not really. I pretty much live out in the middle of the woods, and in pretty hilly territory, So the small fields that do exist around here are pretty isolated from each other.
Although there are quite a few homesteaders near me, (within a 5 mile radius) but they're limited to maybe a handful of animals, and some chickens.

What did you have in mind, toofast?

No, not really. I pretty much live out in the middle of the woods, and in pretty hilly territory, So the small fields that do exist around here are pretty isolated from each other.
Although there are quite a few homesteaders near me, (within a 5 mile radius) but they're limited to maybe a handful of animals, and some chickens.

What did you have in mind, toofast?

I leave sort of in the middle of the woods as well...with farms around me though.

I am thinking there is SOME ORGANIC material (non algae) that the FC is attacking and thus consuming it. But I have no idea what that might be, just trying to find patterns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.