Skimmer Install Trouble

Jon1

May 9, 2015
Renton
Our concrete pool in being renovated. The contractor installed new skimmers without encasing the skimmer inlet connection to the 2" dia skimmer feed pipe in concrete as the engineering drawing shows or as the mfg installation document shows. Before pouring concrete encasement he filled the hole with pea gravel to just above the inlet slip collar on the skimmer. There also is a 3" dia return manifold line crossing at 90 degrees and sitting directly on top of the 2" dia skimmer inlet pipe from the pump. The crossing pipe is also touching the elbow in the skimmer inlet. Because the skimmer moves with the pool and the plumbing does not I am concerned this differential movement will cause the bottom of the skimmer body to crack and fail say in 5 or 10 years. Our existing skimmers lasted 50 years. Am I wrong? Any installers out there with an input?

??AfterConcrete_forPost.jpgEngDrawingPost.jpgMfg_Install_Post.jpg

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I am not a PB. I did a DIY pool and, hearing of the many problems with cracks right where you are suggesting, I encased my skimmers entirely separate from the wall and decking so they could "float" and withstand any movement.024skimmer.jpg026skimmer.jpg
I can't see enough of your pool to propose a fix but I would have the same concerns as you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.