Newbie! needing help with chemistry. confused

CYA and Stabilizer are the same thing.

Yes, those trichlor tablets do add CYA. But at the moment, we don't know what your CYA actually is. If there is history of feeding them to your pool, then likely CYA is high, but you won't know that (or how high) until you test with your new kit.

Whether you have high CYA or not, you can expect the FC to drop some each day as it is consumed by sunlight (and algae if present). I saying that because I assume you have removed the floaters/tabs from your pool, and are not going to add any more shock.

If you see your FC getting low (using strips or your other tester), you can add bleach, but hopefully your test kit will arrive before the FC drops that low.

You said you ordered a Tk6000 kit. Is that a typo? I'm not familiar with that model number.

CYA and Stabilizer are the same thing.

Yes, those trichlor tablets do add CYA. But at the moment, we don't know what your CYA actually is. If there is history of feeding them to your pool, then likely CYA is high, but you won't know that (or how high) until you test with your new kit.

Whether you have high CYA or not, you can expect the FC to drop some each day as it is consumed by sunlight (and algae if present). I saying that because I assume you have removed the floaters/tabs from your pool, and are not going to add any more shock.

If you see your FC getting low (using strips or your other tester), you can add bleach, but hopefully your test kit will arrive before the FC drops that low.

You said you ordered a Tk6000 kit. Is that a typo? I'm not familiar with that model number.

k 2006 !!! Sorry lol

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thanks!!! ^^^^ I read it all and I am going to print it all off and make me a folder so I can write records of everything. I can't wait for my test kit to get here. I really do want everything to be right and balanced. I have a 2yo son and he has sensitive skin. My ph and alk. was way low, not even registering when pool opened so I have pointed my return jets to the top. I thought every little bit helps.

Ok, Im back!!! got my water results!

Received my k2006 today!

Here are my results

FC = 2.2 ppm
cc= .2 ppm
alk= 30ppm
ph= was not on color range. Literally it is the color of urine
calcium hardness = nothing measurable. No color change.
cya test was just below the 1.8 mark!!!

Now what! LOL.

I merged your threads to keep you story together.

Well, urine can vary from clear to orange, so that is not very helpful ;)
I do not know what the 1.8 mark is ... you should see multiples of 10ppm.
CH, what did you see? What color? although this does not matter much.

When I measured cya I didnt put but just a few drops until the dot disappeared. It was waaay down therE. Couldn't measure it in the 10s range. If you turn the tube sideways it was just below the 1.8 on the clear tube.
hardness stayed clear. No color change at all

- - - Updated - - -

Ph was yellowish. No orange tint at all

- - - Updated - - -

I done it per the instructions coupled with the actual Taylor videos on Youtube

Well, the CH should have some color to it ... unless the low pH is affecting things.

Your pool is all out of whack.
Really you need to get a handle on the CYA by replacing a lot of water ... likely you will need to do multiple 1/3-1/2 water changes.
The pH is also WAY too low, although replace water might help that, so not sure I would worry much about this if you start replacing water ASAP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I am so confused in the cya. It was nothing like the sample on the youtube video. It was just a few drops that I could get in So is the more drops , the lesser cya? See I am confused because it wasnt even up far enough to measure in the numbers.

How much should I.dump first?and where do I turn it to on.my pump? Sorry, first time pool owner on my own. First time I was still a kid.

- - - Updated - - -

do you give the solution time to.settle? I can see the dot now after about 10 mins.

You are supposed to do the test within a few minutes of mixing it. Honestly I have never left it sit to see if it "settles".

Can you isolate the floor drains? Do you have a waste function on your filter?
If not, you may need to buy or rent a submersible pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.