Deep?

Eddd

May 5, 2015
Frisco, TX
Hi all,

I am about to build a free-form gunite pool, and I have a teen and 2 tweens. I've heard from different folks that the shallow areas of a pool gets much more use, but I just know there will be lots of diving. I am strongly considering 8.5' "deep end" with a 18-24" jumping platform (no diving board, but we will have an elevated wall along the back of pool). I am new to a pool, never had one, so I would love your insights on this. Option 2 would be to go 6.5', I do not want to go shallower than that, so since it will be to deep to stand in anyways (for volleyball, etc), I might as well go 8', right?

Speaking of jumping -- what is a good platform height? My back wall must e 18" (due to slope), so I am thinking either 18" or elevate more to 24"

Thanks for the tips!
Edd

6.5' seems silly to me. Too deep to stand and too shallow to really jump or dive.

If you want to jump in, and you know the kids will, then I would go at least 8' deep.

Welcome to TFP

If it were me I would stick with the 18" area for jumping. While we do spend a lot of time in the shallow end, we like jumping in the deep end. We do have a diving board but almost never use it for diving, but have chairs on either side of it so it works out as a nice place to set your wine down:D Ours is about 8.5 and we like that depth.

That's what I was kinda thinking. The builder suggested the 6.5' option that would at least allow for safe cannon balls and shallow dives (like of a racing block), but not real dives. It probably seems best to go with either 5' for games, which I don't want to do (out of fear of injury to my kids or their friends when they do dive, and I know they will), or go all the way to 8.5'.

They may have suggested 6.5' to save cost, but it's less than a grand difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP

If it were me I would stick with the 18" area for jumping. While we do spend a lot of time in the shallow end, we like jumping in the deep end. We do have a diving board but almost never use it for diving, but have chairs on either side of it so it works out as a nice place to set your wine down:D Ours is about 8.5 and we like that depth.

That's an expensive wine table, LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I consider 8.5 ft the minimum safe depth for any kind of jumping into the pool, even jumping in feet first it is easy to hit the bottom of an 8.5 ft pool at noticeable speed, it is even possible to hit while doing a cannon ball.

We are at 8' on the deep end and I like it. I would have gone to 10, but my PB did not want to go any deeper. You can still easily hit the bottom while diving and even jumping in from an 18" wall, you just have to know where the bottom is.

Our PB did recommend a slightly deeper 3.5' shallow end at the wall, and I'm happy with that. Took a bit longer for the kids to be able to stand in the shallow end, but it's much more useable now. Still have one small one left, at 4, she's a fish and can already collect stuff on the bottom.

I have a 15 year old girl and an 11 year old boy - Shallow end is 4 and deep end is 9. When boys jump and dive into the pool - I feel like I can breathe BECAUSE it is 9 feet deep. I have a minimum of 4/5 kids almost every day of the summer and they play a lot of games that involve diving in. One of our friends has an elevated wall as well - I think about 24 inches and their deep end is 10 feet. The kids reach it.

Just my .02

Our kids where 11, 12, 14, and 16 when we built our pool.

Personally, I want to be able to dive in a pool....so getting a pool one could dive in was a requirement.

We made the shallow end 3 feet deep and 12'x31' to provide plenty of space for play.

Our kids love to play basketball in the pool.
I bought this: http://www.dunnriteproducts.com/portfolio-items/splash-and-slam-dunk/
PoolBasketball.jpg
I am very happy with it. Quite expensive, but well worth it.

We installed a waterfall. The final step of the waterfall is the "diving rock".

IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg
PoolDrawing.jpg

Ours is a steel pool with a vinyl liner. Wife insisted on vinyl liner. We lived in Canada for a while, that pool was gunite with a vinyl liner. I wanted that back in the states, but couldn't find a PB in our area to do it.

I think gunite with a vinyl liner is the best!!! The sturdiness of gunite. The smoothness and less maintenance of vinyl. What could be better? ....unless you have dogs.

Attachments

• PoolBasketball.jpg
    PoolBasketball.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.