Sliding Glass Door Safety

Feb 25, 2015
Davis, CA
Hello -

My pool is being remodeled, and I want to remove part of the fence around our pool to make the pool area bigger. The only problem is that that will leave the sliding glass door from my master bedroom directly accessible to the swimming pool. I plan on putting a sliding glass door alarm that is required by code. However, the problem is that at night, we often crack the door about 3 inches open to let the cool air in while the whole house fan is running. At night, we put a stick so that the door cannot be any bigger. This is fine when there are no children in the house. Now that my wife is pregnant with our first child, this is going to be unacceptable unless we can figure out another solution. I was wondering if anyone has a safety latch that will allow the sliding glass door to open 3-4" and then latch it in that position so the window cannot be open any larger without an adult bypassing the latch. Does anyone have any suggestion on what product(s) I can use for this purpose?

Thanks
Minh

BTW - I found the following post useful for pool alarm:
Inspection - Door Alarm Advice http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/53997-Inspection-Door-Alarm-Advice

Keep the opening smaller than the kid's head :D
And move the stick up high so that they can not reach it ... thinking of something like the little cups that hold a closet rod.

Heff - no window in the room. However, there is a window in the bathroom (attached to the bedroom). However, it doens't get quite as nice of an air movement as the air through the sliding glass door.

Jason - I was hoping for something that is a little more fool proof. It's too easy to forget to put a rod in place. And yes - the opening will be smaller than the kid's head. (3" - 4").

The other option I am considering is a one of those removable mesh fence that people put around the pool. But instead, I would put it in front of the sliding glass door on the outside. We don't exit through that door very often, but we do use it for air circulation.

Any further recommendations?

Minh

Is it a metal framed door? security_chain_keyed_sm.jpg

Perhaps a simple security latch. Hopefully the picture loads...

Maybe you put the slotted side vertical so that when it is latched , there is no way it can wiggle free.

Or maybe one of those doggy screens with metal reinforcement on the bottom 3' and a sensor alarm on the locking screen as well.

- - - Updated - - -

When you open the door at night, the alarm should remind you to put the latch in. The chain should prevent you from opening it more than 3"

Jason - Brilliant idea with the latch. It's a vinyl fame, but I think the latch will work. I'll put the latch high enough that a child can't get to it.

I don't know if I would trust a doggy screen. The screen door frames don't stay on the track well enough to trust it. But maybe a combination of all the above would work.

Minh

I wanted to add some information for those people who might be search this article in the future. The Cardinal Gates Patio Door Guardian seems to fit my needs. You can find it on Amazon by searching for "Patio Guardian PDG01". As of 5/14/2015 - the cost is $16.74 with prime.

The Patio Door Guardian effectively secures and childproofs sliding patio doors in homes and balcony doors in apartments/condos. Created with home security in mind, this lock is also ideal for childproofing. Prevent children from leaving the home unattended. Attractive and functional, the Patio Door Guardian also allows you to lock the door with a 3" gap for ventilation. It works on right and left handed doors. The Patio Door Guardian is white.

I also purchased a Techko S187D Safe pool Alarm. It's a magnetic system. From what I can tell, it doesn't allow the door to be propped open without setting off the alarm. However, I think I might be able to modify the alarm with multiple magnets so that the alarm will allow me to leave it slightly open without setting off the alarm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.