Saltwater Pool Owners - Cell Winter Maintenance

May 4, 2015
Georgetown
Hello,

New forum user here, this is a great little spot you have here on the webz. I tried looking around your forum for an existing topic, but was unable to find anything. Apologies in advance if I am repeating an already asked question.

So, got a brand new pool last season and it included a Hayward Salt and Swim saltwater chlorination system. In closing, I didn't remove the cell or any parts of the system, I simply unplugged it and that was it. Now that it is spring and I am firing up the system, it is not reading the cell. Did I make a mistake by not removing and bringing the cell in for the winter? I have now read Haywards site and there were clear winterization steps I should have followed, that I didn't. I relied on the pool company I hired for closing to know what to do, but they clearly didn't

Can anyone with any experience let me know how bad of a mistake I made? And if so, should a new cell do it? Or am I looking at replacing a whole new unit here? Also, should I be holding the pool closing company accountable for this or should I as an owner should have known?

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT - also apologies, I posted this in the general forum before I knew what I was doing, the double post was not intentional.

I know most manufacturers recommend bringing the unit in for the winter or when not in use for an extended period. A responsible pool company that is closing your pool for you and getting paid to do so should know that the SWCG should be removed and it be part of the closing procedure. However, if it is not explicitly specified in the closing agreement or list of services provided, you may not have any chance at recourse.

Now... to see if it will still work. Do the lights on the unit itself turn on? Are you receiving any error messages/lights? Look through your manual and see what you can troubleshoot. https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Salt&SwimManual.pdf

EDIT: My first comment was based on assumptions and things I had read previously. However, looking through your manual it says:

The Control Boxand plumbed in Cell Vessel are capable of withstanding any winter weather andshould not be removed.

Do what you can to troubleshoot, then contact Hayward or pool builder about warranty information, getting it replaced under warranty.

I know most manufacturers recommend bringing the unit in for the winter or when not in use for an extended period. A responsible pool company that is closing your pool for you and getting paid to do so should know that the SWCG should be removed and it be part of the closing procedure. However, if it is not explicitly specified in the closing agreement or list of services provided, you may not have any chance at recourse.

Now... to see if it will still work. Do the lights on the unit itself turn on? Are you receiving any error messages/lights? Look through your manual and see what you can troubleshoot. https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Salt&SwimManual.pdf

EDIT: My first comment was based on assumptions and things I had read previously. However, looking through your manual it says:

The Control Boxand plumbed in Cell Vessel are capable of withstanding any winter weather andshould not be removed.

Do what you can to troubleshoot, then contact Hayward or pool builder about warranty information, getting it replaced under warranty.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have gone through the troubleshooting manual and even spoken with Hayward, the error message is the control box is not recognizing the cell unit. I have gone through all the necessary steps, but can't seem to fix it. Fortunately, the pool company that did the closing is willing to accept responsibility and are coming by to look at it this evening. Hopefully this gets cleared up sooner than later as I want to swim.

Thanks for the help!

So thank you for your help in this, looks like it has all been resolved. There was an issue with the Control Box and it all needed to be replaced. Thankfully, Hayward honored the warranty and allowed me to pick up a new unit at their warehouse, which was conveniently only a few minutes drive from my home.

Enjoyed a nice swim over the weekend. All is well that ends well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.