Relatively new pool owner starting the TFPC method

CH doesn't matter a whole lot in vinyl pools, just like Jason said. The only time it does matter is if it's really high, then you run the risk of calcium (hard water) staining, which is difficult to remove. As long as you don't use calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo), and your fill water is not hard, then this number should not ever go up. CH monitoring is more important for concrete/plaster pools.

I concur on the PH testing, wait until the FC level comes down below 10. Your PH will tend to rise over time due to the TA being a bit high. This is not a big problem though, and the TA will come down over time as you add acid from time to time to control PH.

Alright friends:

Pool Temp 80 degrees
FC: 7
CC: 0
Alkalinity: 180
PH 7.5

Should I do anything about the alkalinity?

Looks good. Your TA is a bit high, but it won't cause you any big problems. Your PH will rise quicker with the high TA, but you control that with acid to bring the PH back down. Acid will lower both PH and TA, so over time your TA will come down as well. I added too much baking soda to my pool once and sent my TA up to 140 but it didn't cause any issues.

There is no reason to actively worry about the TA. But, if you want to: Lower Total Alkalinity

Just make sure you FC stays above the minimum for your CYA.

Thanks. I think I will leave well enough alone. I did notice a sheen come off my solar blanket when I rolled it up. Never seen that before. Do you think it was bleach or borax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks good. Your TA is a bit high, but it won't cause you any big problems. Your PH will rise quicker with the high TA, but you control that with acid to bring the PH back down. Acid will lower both PH and TA, so over time your TA will come down as well. I added too much baking soda to my pool once and sent my TA up to 140 but it didn't cause any issues.

Thank you for the help everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sheen usually indicates some sort of oil or grease, possibly from the roller mechanism for your solar cover if you have one. If you notice the oily sheen in the pool, you can toss in a few scum balls that will absorb it.

Borax can give the pool water a "sparkle", but I've never heard of it having a sheen at all. Chlorine, not likely at all.

It is normal to have to add 2-4ppm of FC everyday.
That is a bit on the high side though ... what is your CYA? Might want to raise it.

My CYA has been going down due to rain- It was 35 and now its barely 30- maybe a little lower. I went to walmart and couldnt find any stabilizer and my local lowes didnt have a pool section. Should I go to my pool store and get liquid CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.