Hose bladder to find leak in skimmer line?

dzl13

Jul 29, 2014
okc
I am 99.9% sure I have a crack somewhere in one of my skimmer lines (2 skimmers tie together somewhere before the pump) as when I switch from 100% main drain to skimmers I get a surge of air that doesn't clear. If I leave it at a 50/50 split main to skimmers the air stays but it never runs dry. If I switch full skimmers and plug either basket the pump runs dry within 30 seconds. My goal it to find the crack and repair. I've been told that I could use this hose bladder: http://www.lowes.com/pd_24344-319-0...rrentURL=?Ntt=bladder&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID by sealing off the pump and plugging this into the skimmer line thereby tracing the leak back. Any better suggestions? I've got about 2 weeks before the wife expects the pool to be open and crystal clear. Thank you.

There is no good solution here. Leaks like that are never all that easy to fix. You are going to need to dig up the pipe to fix it. That may or may not be practical, depending on where the leak is relative to your deck. I've never heard of using one of those to pinpoint a leak location. Assuming it works, it will save some digging, but it doesn't fundamentally change the complexity of the project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.