Backwashing- Such a Waste

Not really. All filter systems have some inherent "waste" involved in the cleaning of the filters. Eitehr by back-washing of sand/DE filters or taking cartridges out to rinse them.

Some folks have talked about capturing the water and using it for landscape irrigation. You would probably need a fairly good sized cistern to store the water though.

Most people who are worried about this kind of thing get a cartridge filter. It still takes a little water to clean the cartridges, but it isn't pool water and it isn't nearly as much water as backwashing.

The is a thing called a recovery tank, which filters the backwash water and returns it to the pool. You don't see them very often as cleaning the recovery tank filter is quite annoying, worse than cleaning a cartridge from a cartridge filter.

It doesn't get wasted where I am because I don't have to go to sewer with it. I use it for my backyard watering.

But right here, where we are in dry arid country, our municipalities require it to go to sewer when it could water landscapes. Foolish and wasteful that is IMO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.