Polaris 380 Broke - Want to replace with Robot or Booster Pump Pressure Cleaner

Apr 15, 2015
Austin, Tx
Hey everyone,

Our pool is just over two years old and our Polaris 380 has never really worked right.

It's tied into our main pool pump with is 2 horsepower. Pool is about 15,000 gallons.

It seems to always get stuck and also has rubbed part of it's body off. Last week the wheels stopped turning and we had it serviced.

Once again after a few days the wheels aren't moving.

I'd like to replace it with either a Robotic or cleaner with it's own booster pump.

Pitfalls I see with the robotic cleaner is that during the cooler months, I think we'd really slack on using it.

The downsides of the booster pump route seems to be the cost of having a pump installed in addition to the cost of the cleaner.

For robotic I was looking at the Aquabot Junior and for the pressure cleaner I was looking at the Pentair Racer.

Would also like for the cleaner to have rotating brushes and be able to get most of the way up the walls.

Please help me choose!

Also any other model suggestions are appreciated!

Welcome to TFP Offshore!

I'm sorry no one has answered you yet...

I'm biased toward robot cleaners and I would suggest looking at those thoroughly. If you could add your pool details to your signature, it would help us help you in the future. Better and faster.

Glad you found us, and enjoy the forum. :cheers:

I bought a house with an 18K in-ground pool, (see signature re full info). The Polaris 380 that the prior owner had worked after a lot of adjustments by me but now it is a problem, which I will not go into right now. My reviews of robotic cleaners has me just about to buy the Triton Plus along with the additional accessory for leaves. BTW, I need to amend my signature to show the gallons at 18K, not 16K. I have printed to pdf info on this robotic cleaner. But it appears that PDF attachments for this forum have an incredibly tiny threshold to upload e.g. < 19.5KB. I can't imagine a PDF with any content being that small.

Amazon carries the Triton Plus and other less expensive models. I will continue to do my due diligence before ordering. I cannot see myself spending more time than I already have with the Polaris. I am a professional and a few hours of my time equates with the purchase price of the Triton +. Meanwhile, to get the Polaris to work, to buy new parts and accessories, to be repeatedly removing the unit to freshen the memory of the filter tube, etc has involved probably 30 hours of my time.

I would love to have others comment on their experience with robotic pool cleaners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.