Building a Solar Cover Roller

Looks nice Trick. I don't understand what the second picture is of. Please can you explain. I like your clips. They seem like they came out very clean. What did you do/how did u make them? I used a 2" quarter piece of the foam core pipe but I had to cut everything by hand because I don't have power saws. My stainless steel 316 screws worked well. I dig the rivet idea though.

My cover is split in 2 pieces. A couple days ago I made the half for the deep end. I'll try to get a pick up when I have a chance. I laid my out on the driveway so I could have the space. Went well, just the pipe is a little off center so when I roll it I have a little excess on one side when cover is rolled up. Was a little hard to measure and get it lined up in the center when my cover is for a kidney shaped freeform pool. Unrolling the cover back onto the water was definitely a PITA. It was easy to roll up, but it seems maybe even more difficult to unroll back on the water than what I used to do.

Unrolling the cover back onto the water was definitely a PITA. It was easy to roll up, but it seems maybe even more difficult to unroll back on the water than what I used to do.
If you follow the instructions of the SolarRoller, it is a little easier. You unroll the cover about half way while the "stick" is half in and half out of the water. Then I slide the rest of the cover into the water and unroll the rest.

Tx Mark! Will have to try that idea.

Side note, what's ur water temp rt now? I'm at roughly 90-91 degrees. I turned my solar temp thermostat to about 85. So it like looks like it had about a 6-7 degree variance from what the actual temp is. This temp is good b/c it keeps my 2 year old boys in the water longer.

Right now mye pool is at 85F because the panels shut off yesterday at 86F (my run time is 12-4pm). But you will get some heat gain from just the pool itself after the panels shut off although 6 degrees would be more than I would expect. Are you sure your solar is actually shutting off after it reaches your set point?

Bbrock. The 2nd picture is the completed roller in the pool. Its kinda upside down. The 3rd pic is the end of the pvc close to my pool wall.

The clips are made out of the 2" pvc, i cut about a 2" piece of pipe then cut that pipe into quarters (approximately, it took a few trys.) (Use a small cutoff wheel to cut the pvc. I used a huge chop saw and am lucky to have all my fingers still.) I then took them clips to the grinding wheel and rounded all the edges.

Yes, glad u got all ur digits still. Well good work on those "high risk" clips! The rivets holding well? I'm no chemist, but I went with marine grade SS 316 d/t increased corrosion resistance. Not sure how the Al would fare.

Mark, yes solar is shutting off when I reduce my set point low enough. I've tested it at set point b/w 80-85 at it shuts off. So it seems as though there is a variance of approx 6 degrees b/w the set pt and true water temp.

The same sensor should be used for solar and water temp so there should not be any difference. Or are you using a different measurement?

I am setting the dial on the solar controller to 85 degrees, and it's using whatever & wherever the sensor is. Perhaps it's what I'm using to gauge the H2O temp. I'm using my BBQ thermometer and assessing the surface temp at a few different areas in the pool. I can't imagine there being a 6 degree difference b/w the surface and deeper water.

Is that an IR thermometer because it probably won't be that accurate for pool water. Also are you measuring the water with the cover on or off?

I just confirmed with my own pool that an IR thermometer will read high if the pool water is in the sun vs the shade (half my pool is in shade right now). In the shade, the IR is pretty accurate compared to the water sensor but in the sun, the reflection of the sun increases the measured temperature by several degrees. In my case, it was about 3-6 degrees higher on the sun side depending on the sensor angle.

Yes IR thermom. My pool is in full shade usually by 5 pm or so at this time of year. My testing has mostly been with the cover on and in sun and shade. Gonna check now. Pool is in full shade & just took cover off to brush. I decreased the solar thermostat last night at about 9 pm to somewhere b/w 80 - 85 degrees.

- - - Updated - - -

92.5 deep end; 92.8 shallow. I'm gonna have to turn down the thermostat more. Getting a tad too warm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you run the pump for ar least 30 min after removing the cover? Covers can heat the surface several degrees warmer than deep water.

I layed my solar cover on the grass for 2 days and killed my grass. :(

I then became highly motivated to build a solar roller and then be able to hang it on the fence out of my way and off the grass.

We used 3 sticks of 1.5" foam core pvc, 2 couplings, a small piece of 2" pvc and 8 aluminum rivets.

View attachment 37899
View attachment 37900

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What did you use to hang it on your fence Trick? Eventually that is my plan too, as I underestimated their length by assuming that I would be able to angle in into my garage for the off-season time.

Where do you store yours Mark (mas985) during the off-season?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you run the pump for ar least 30 min after removing the cover? Covers can heat the surface several degrees warmer than deep water.

Sorry, Mark, did not see your post till now. In that post above, no I did not run it at when I got those temps. But, I do run it when I take the cover off to swim. Usually I run it somewhere from 800 - 24000 RPM depending on how many floaties I got in the water and how quick I want it skimmed/filtered. After taking the cover off, I always net the surface before I let people into the pool.

Finally had a chance to make the other solar roller for the shallow end last Thurs. Came out pretty good. The pipes are almost centered, but they are good enough. It was hard to estimate/measure and get it lined up. The 1" SS 316 pan head screws worked well. I didn't drill pilot holes, rather just held them and drilled them in. I spaced my clops about 12" apart. Probably overkill, but it works. The one error was that my measurement was off for the shallow end pipe. I had OSH cut one of the pieces too short. I think I got it at 16' when I needed 16' and a couple of inches. But, it still works and I can roll it up.

I will say that rolling it up has been a breeze vs. unrolling it. I have been battling getting it back on, but am getting better at it with more practice. I do end up going into the water to put the one on the shallow end b/c that end it pretty much right up against my fence so I don't have the clearance to get pipe about 15 degrees off the water. I noticed that when I try to start unrolling it when I have the pipe at about 45 degrees it just leads to chaos. I have been having luck keeping it at about 15 or so degrees and unrolling it. Also, my Polaris out of the water when I put unroll it. That way it can unroll smoothly.

Here are some pics:
from shallow end
18221974884_04f65c5250.jpg

from shallow end
18844570105_d574200a46.jpg

clip
18818316896_6f6e2aebd4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I put my cover on the ground against the fence and cover it.

I was thinking about doing that, but also thinking about putting or making some hooks for my fence to hold it. Then, draping a cover over it. I generally have been putting them on my small back grass area when we're swimming, but recently I found some small slugs on them and decided that I really didn't want those in the water, even if the chlorine would kill them. Now, I am putting them on the side on the concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark, thanks again for this solar roller idea, and having shared it.

Brock I had the solar saddles that mount on your pool. I took those off and mounted them in the privacy fence.

No idea where im going to store it on the off season, 1st season pool owner here.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If I put some mounts on my fence, I'll just drape & secure a tarp down over the solar covers and store them like that for the off season.

But seeing how it is that the cover heated up my pool to a point where I just got an algae bloom that I'm currently SLAMMING, I'm questioning the continued use of the cover. I know I need to use it for my water District, probably will, but just be more diligent about checking my water and adding chlorine every day. Before I was going every 2 to 3 days, and my levels were being maintained, but it looks like I need to keep a closer watch.

I think your FC levels got too low at some point. You can blame the cover if you want but really it is about proper maintenance. Higher water temps cause higher FC extinction so you will need more chlorine and more frequent dosing.

I have been using a cover for over 9 years now and never had an issue with algae under normal operation. But I do have a SWG which helps keep FC levels fairly constant.

Probably true Mark.

I'm planning to test FC daily, and keeping the chlorine at the upper limit for my CYA. Or, test every other day but add everyday and on the off day add the same amount as the day before.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.