Installing Through Wall Skimmer, Intex Style Rectangle Pool

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Morning!

I did a search on this, but could not find exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully someone can chime in.

We are considering replacing our current rectangular splash a round pool with an intex 9 x 18 rectangular pool. If we do this, I would want to install a through wall skimmer. However, I have a few questions:

Has anyone installed a through wall skimmer above the seam on a rectangular pool?

Anyone install a through wall skimmer on a rectangular pool and willing to share how it is holding up?

The water force on the walls is different for a round vs. rectangular pool, thus why the posts speaking about installing a through wall on a round pool were not able to answer these questions for me.

Thanks!!

Megan

G'day... :)
I have the same pool.. :) Its great... I even bought the Hayward through the wall skimmer.... I've already cut larger intake and return holes and replaced all the fittings with the larger intex ones.... I have two suction hoses that connect into one, and one return....

Because of my two suction fittings, I find I didn't have to install the skimmer, and I just use the regular over the wall intex skimmer attached to one of the suctions... Works brilliantly... If I want heavy duty skimming I just shut the plunger valve of the suction that doesn't have the skimmer attached to it and it pulls more water through it.... :) To be honest, when I cut the new holes for the fittings, it felt ok as it was a reinforced part of the pool, cutting a new hole in the side of the liner with only the gasket and skimmer holding it there, worries me somewhat... Many have done it, don't get me wrong, I just found I didn't have too.....

You can check my thread if you want... It is a little long.... :)

Thanks Barlidge!! This is exactly what I was looking for! We just hard plummed it without the through wall, even though I have it here in the box, because I was too nervous. I wonder if I could have the upper screws going above the seam, and cut the opening just below the seam line to keep some water height. Hm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have just replaced (this week) a skimmer on my Doughboy above ground pool. The pool was built in 80s and the skimmer was original. I owned it since 2005 and abused it left and right, letting it freeze in Jan as I swim in the winter and use circulation to keep it from forming ice until it drops down to single digits when I know it won't handle it anymore and disconnect the pump and close the skimmer. So this winter (I did close it and emptied the bucket) after being just fine while in use, it then cracked (found it a week ago), hence the replacement.

Problems: outside developed oxidation that broke the seal so after install it leaked. Wirebrushed it, sanded and used silicone caulk, on the outside. The leak had stopped. The process is easy.

God lykke.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.