Water Clear but cover coming off

Wiggledog

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2013
Souderton, PA
I live in SE PA. We still have a few weeks before we would normally open our pool. Unfortunately the pool cover I bought for the winter was supposed to be for a 30 foot round pool but left very little overhang and even though we had cinched it with a cable and weighted it down with water bottles all around the pool the cover has been pulling to one side - leaving the other side exposed. Today we had strong winds and the cover is now off a quarter of the pool pulling to the other side.

The water is crystal clear but I am seeing some leaves now falling in because of the cover being pulled to one side. Also, we had drained the pool about a foot below the normal water level and the exposed side faces southwest, directly into the sun. Besides debris getting into the pool I am concerned that the exposed liner could be damaged. Should I just pull it off and fill it and start filtering? I probably won't add chlorine until it gets above 60 in the pool. We could still get a few days close to freezing in the morning. None forecast but I do not want any filter problems. I am very happy with the BBB method. Last year we had a green mess with regular chlorine pucks and this year, if it were warm enough it would be ready to jump right in.

I'd go ahead and raise your water level up and get things going before your water temp hits 60. You want to start things up when you water temp is in the 50's. If you wait until the water temp is in the 60's before you add chlorine your chances of algae will increase.
I'll be starting mine up next weekend.

Great. I talked with my husband and he agreed that we would be starting it in a week or two anyway. The cover I bought was for a 30 foot round pool but just did not have enough overhang. Would it be smarter to purchase on for a 33 foot round for next year?

Hey wiggledog! I'm opening tomorrow. If I were you, I'd take the cover off asap n get it started. +1 on the 33ft cover for next year.

I filled up and started my pump on low last weekend.
But I left the cover on, and haven't even peeked under. Also added a bottle of bleach, checked CYA (down to 0), and hung a sock in front of the return.
I will check up on my pool in a couple of weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.