Staining on Bottom after Repairs

Jun 14, 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
My skimmer cracked around the New Year and I began losing water rapidly. PB gave me a quote to remove and replace skimmer. I decided to add a vac port, autofill and some water features while we had the yard torn up.

Pool was drained, repairs and additions were made, and pool was refilled within 3 days. There was a fair bit of sand and soil that blew into the pool and collected on the bottom. PB promised to vacuum it out. 2 weeks passed before it was vacuumed. After vac'ing it out there was staining left behind the following the material build up line.

PB thought it was BA. No. Now they have started No Drain Acid Wash. Took out my cleaner and left the pump running 8 hours a day. No change what so ever. They are coming by everyother day to check pH. They are not brushing. I started brushing today. Should I be using a SS brush?

pH below 6.8
FC 5.0
TC. 5.5
TA 0

You shouldn't use a SS brush on new Plaster if that's what you mean. I hate being pessimistic, but soil stains are very stubborn sometimes. That should have bee vacuumed out immediately. That's unfortunate, but perhaps what they are doing now will help. Seems to be in their hands. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

You shouldn't use a SS brush on new Plaster if that's what you mean. I hate being pessimistic, but soil stains are very stubborn sometimes. That should have bee vacuumed out immediately. That's unfortunate, but perhaps what they are doing now will help. Seems to be in their hands. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

The plaster is at least 10 years old. I grabbed a 5 inch ss brush. It does seem to help, but I don't see if providing a cure.

PB offered to drain, acid wash, and refill on his dime.

I will post results.

Update:

PB's General Manager decided not to drain and acid wash and left the No Drain Acid Approach in place for the last three weeks, while I have been out of town. No difference in staining. The brand new Intellibrite trim ring is completely discolored now. The pump is making a **** of a racket. No telling if the SWG cell has been affected. The pool is full of dead frogs and leaves.

This looks like it might get ugly...

I think I would take matters into my own hands and start to clean that pool. Dead frogs and leaves this late in the season is not a good thing. You are going to have to be proactive or your pool will not get cleaned up.

First things first, can you post a set of test results? Are you chlorinating? With what?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.