Easytouch 4 capacity, vs. 8

EminenceFront

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 12, 2015
Forney, TX
Does anyone run the EasyTouch 4 ? Specifically with Spa + Pool

What all are you controlling with it ? Just the standard type stuff, Main Filter Pump, Spa/Pool mode valves, and Heater, with the Light ?

Curious if anyone has the EasyTouch 4, and has found they'd really like the 8.

I'm weighing my options and while I'd like to have the capacity to add control for my low voltage lighting in the landscape, and my patio twinkle lights, from the Controller, I just don't know if I can do everything with the 4.

In a nutshell.

Out of the gate, I'd be controlling

Control Main Pump (intelliflow vs.)
Control Heat
Spa On/Off
Pool Lights On/Off
Adding a 3rd actuator to control the Water Feature Off/ On (the waterfall is shared on the main pump, so it won't be on with the spa anyway, but in pool mode, I'd like the flexibility to turn it on and off.)

Future Possibility
Turn Low Voltage Landscape On/Off
Potentially add a low voltage Mister to the patio, which could be turned on/off via an Aux.

Could all this be done with just the (ET4) ?

An EasyTouch 4 should be able to do your entire list, including the future items, however that would max it out.

The heater and spa don't need relays, they are handled with dedicated ports. So your four relays would be pump, pool lights, landscape lights, mister. And you have three valves: spa return, spa drain, water feature. All of that is easy enough with an ET4.

As a general rule of thumb, many people end up wishing they got a larger automation system. It is always possible to think up new things that can be controlled. But that doesn't always make the smaller systems a bad choice. The ET4 can handle both your current needs, and a reasonable amount of expansion. Depending on how you value up front spending just in case, your choice is reasonable either way, 4 or 8.

An EasyTouch 4 should be able to do your entire list, including the future items, however that would max it out.

The heater and spa don't need relays, they are handled with dedicated ports. So your four relays would be pump, pool lights, landscape lights, mister. And you have three valves: spa return, spa drain, water feature. All of that is easy enough with an ET4.

As a general rule of thumb, many people end up wishing they got a larger automation system. It is always possible to think up new things that can be controlled. But that doesn't always make the smaller systems a bad choice. The ET4 can handle both your current needs, and a reasonable amount of expansion. Depending on how you value up front spending just in case, your choice is reasonable either way, 4 or 8.

Thanks JL,

Really good feedback.

Question on the Pump relay though.

I thought the Intelliflow VS was powered directly off the 240V breaker, and then a control cable ran from the ET4 to the pump to control the cycles / circuits. Thus, not needing to use the Pump Relay.

(e.g. it is always "on" from a power supply perspective, and the control cable dictates when and at what rpm it kicks on based on programming)

Do you know if that's the case ?

If so, that actually leave the Pump relay available to power something else.

-bd-

The pump relay and the IntelliFlo is a kind of special case. The IntelliFlo does not use the pump relay at all. But the pump relay is still dedicated to turning on when the logical pump is on regardless. Now it is possible to unplug that relay and plug it in somewhere else without causing any problems. As long as you don't have solar heat, you can plug it into the Aux Extra slot, and get another configurable aux relay. However, if you do have solar your choices are much more limited.

The pump relay and the IntelliFlo is a kind of special case. The IntelliFlo does not use the pump relay at all. But the pump relay is still dedicated to turning on when the logical pump is on regardless. Now it is possible to unplug that relay and plug it in somewhere else without causing any problems. As long as you don't have solar heat, you can plug it into the Aux Extra slot, and get another configurable aux relay. However, if you do have solar your choices are much more limited.

Winner Winner ! Chicken Dinner !

Perfect. That's exactly the use case I am looking for. Thanks JLion, you're a great help.

-bd-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.