Pre-Pool opening question

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help thus far. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or keep this one going, but I figure this one's already here...
Anyway, I got the TF100 and just today tested the water for the first time :D
Finally a day without pouring rain.

The water itself is crystal clear all the way to the bottom of the pool. I was impressed, especially with how green the water on top of the cover was. I resisted the temptation to jump in favor of actually testing the water, and Brrrrrrr!!

From the tests:
*No Chlorine.
*Calcium Hardiness of 250ppm
*TA 100
*No CYA
*PH 8.0

Assuming I followed the directions correctly, that's where I'm sitting at presently.
Any guidance/direction from here would be great.
I reattached the cover for now to keep the leave from blowing in until I really know what I'm doing.

Also, I found bleach, 12% buy one get one free at Menards (so $2 a bottle). Seemed like a good price compared to everywhere I had been looking so I bought several gallons.

Anyway, feel free to weigh in with what I ought to be doing next.
Thanks.

-Get some bleach in ASAP!

-Bring your PH down to 7.5 or so using muratic acid

-Get some CYA (stabilizer or pool balance depending on the brand you buy) Target 40 to start with.

Here is the link to pool math in case you do not already have it bookmarked.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator

Good luck and let us know when you have done the above.

Kim

You can toss in a quart of the 12% for right now. Should bring you up to about 2 FC.
I might go a little closer to 7.2 on the pH and retest it once you've given it 30 minutes or so to mix. Being up near 8 it might take more that one addition of acid to bring it down where you want to be.
I'd add enough stabilizer to bring it up to 30. You can always add a little more later but it's so much easier to just add than it is to drain water to lower it.
Once the pH is 7.2-7.5 and you have the sock of CYA started then if you need to SLAM it's time to start. If you don't need to SLAM than you should figure you have 30 for a CYA level even if it's not all dissolved yet and add enough bleach to get to 4ppm FC and not let it get below 2.

Once you add CYA wait a week before retesting. It takes that long for it fully dissolve and get an accurate test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.