Partially Burying a Doughboy Above Ground Pool w/ deep end (AGP Build)

WOW what a difference a couple of hours makes! When I got home they already had the sand leveled and were unpacking the liner!

Pool Liner install 1.jpgPool Liner install 2.jpg

Also, they ended up bringing their own fill pool today, which was a smaller intex, 12 foot I think. So we have our old one filled about 3 feet in the back yard, and theirs filled about 2.5 feet in the front yard. Maybe ours won't take 2 days to fill. J/K, those two pools are just a drop in the bucket that is our new beautiful pool!

Here's a question, what are your thoughts about a smaller fence in the back yard that cordons off just the pool. My husband is insisting, and I don't necessarily disagree, since we have an almost 3 year old. I don't want to spend a bundle, but chain link is definitely out. One, it's oh so ugly, and two, our little toddler is a CLIMBER!

Okay, one more question. What are everyone's thoughts on composite decking? I'm all for it, but if anyone has had issue, either with the materials or just the installation, I'd love to hear about it now!

Your wall counts as a fence as long as it's 48" above ground. Check your permit, it should state what your fence requirements are.

Well, What about a fence like a privacy fence but not as tall? I certainly understand the angst and importance of the fence as we have a 2 year old granddaughter. Hubby n I are in a race to finish our deck but we're also adding another gate to our home to keep her in as another barrier. I'm lucky that she is not a climber!

Do you have water yet?

We also have to lowes choice deck around ours and it looks great (just did it last year). It does get hot! My husband and his friends did it, they didn't seem to have any material trouble (they are definitely NOT pros!). They did use the clip system that you can get with it instead of deck screws. It added some extra cost, but looks really good.

I didn't like any of the choices at Lowes or HD. I have TimberTech and it's not too hot in our Sacramento sun. i am sure I have a thread somewhere here about it.

IMG_5164.JPG

Thanks to everyone for your replies! This is what I got home to yesterday:

Pool Filling 2 (2).jpg

I was a little concerned about all of the debris from the trees floating on top, some had already settled on the bottom. I spent a good portion of the evening with the net skimming the top.

Pool Filling 3 (2).jpg

I will try to post more in just a minute, I'm having trouble getting the size of the pictures small enough.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The installers arrived this morning to finish backfilling and to set up the pumping station. They just left. Here is where we are so far:

mandy's pool filling.jpg

I'm hoping that once the water is high enough I can backwash the filter and turn it on so that the rest of this junk floating on top will be sucked into the skimmer.

Last edited:
Dumb question.... Why is your liner over the top rail? I have a Doughboy too, but it has a beaded liner and was installed in the track before filling. As you can tell from question, I have no experience with an overlap liner.

They are using an expandable overlap liner to allow for a deep end. The installers are still filling the pool so they place the liner over the top rail caps until the pool is nearly full. They will return to the pool, and in sections move the liner, remove the top rail, cut/fold the liner, add the liner caps and the top rails to finish the installation. Expandable liners do not have beading, they are oversized to overlap the allow for more options and are stretched into the pool. They are a single piece without welds.

A beaded liner is not expandable. The outer walls are welded together to make to correct base and wall dimensions. The liner does not stretch into place and requires a rail at the top for the bead to hold the liner up. Some beads include this.

What techguy said, thanks by the way! I also fixed the picture, I hope!

Now I'm off to re-read pool school. I'm having trouble with my first backwash. I've only tried it once, but it seems like it's really not doing anything when I turn the multi-port valve to "backwash".

May I ask why you are backwashing a clean filter?

And you definitely need a fence around the pool. I didn't realize you were sinking it that far into the ground. It looks fantastic though! Your family is going to enjoy the new pool for many years!

The installer said that since it was new sand that it needed to be backwashed, and I know that on other build threads that I've read it said to backwash first.

Am I wrong? I'm really itching to get the skimmer going!

I don't know if you're right or wrong. I have a DE filter. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.