In retrospect... Share your wisdom.

Talk about electrical requirements. That wasn't even mentioned by our salesman, and we were out the cost of a sub-panel.

Talk about damage done to a driveway, I have to repair mine now due to the excavator.

Add as many umbrella/volley ball sleeves as you can, as its super cheap and easy to due when the deck is poured. We also added basketball sleeves.

@everyone
Thanks. This is great. I have pulled out several ideas from this to add to my list that will go into my pre-plan.

@jblizzle
Hose bib at the filter pad. Check.

@Patrick_B
Working space between plumbing lines. Check.
Jandy valves on all suction/discharge lines. Check.

@PigIron
Extra Umbrella sleeves. Check.

Thanks
plat.

If your CYA is too high and like me the PH was barely registering, do partial drains/refills first
instead of dumping in $ 80 worth of PH up.

Turns out my fill water has perfect PH and TA, only lacking in CH.

Items I'm glad I did:
- Went with a reputable pool builder and contractors. Spent months designing the area and having pool builder and concrete contractor come out a few times to review before signing a contract. Laying design out in the yard with stakes and yard paint helps visualize the space and where your tables, chairs, grills, etc.... will go.
- Pre-wiring for a heater (which we got a year after the build). They had to modify our box since we were bumping up to our circuit breaker limit.
- Getting a few additional electrical outlets in spaces near patio tables etc... cheap to do while yard is torn up.
- SWG, 2 speed pump, finding this site.
- Reviewing drainage in yard and house to dig pipes and properly divert
- Getting a safety cover for peace of mind with dog and 2 little kids

Item's I'd change:
- Possibly get the LED light, although we don't turn our light on much anyways
- Hard plumb the back-flow drain into some PVC pipe in the ground out to the curb
- Robot cleaner
- Enlarge the shallow end more since its where adults/kids all hang-out
- Wish I knew the pain it was to have a torn up yard and mud with kids/dog for months
- Enforced early on a 6-pack entry fee to the neighbors for usage of pool :)

I'm glad we
1. Went w/ 2 led lights - one isn't enough. Also pointed them away from the house - no glare.
2. Didn't make it too deep - for us the pool is more user friendly, the kids will disagree as they grow older. Depth is 3-5.5 feet
3. Attached spa - we use it more than the pool - all year (south TX)
4. Didn't choose the builder based on cost - you get what you pay for. No issues w/ ours.
5. Have a huge ledge w/ umbrellas at perimeter in deck - great place to relax.
6. Installed speaker

Wish I would have
1. Placed a skimmer at the far side of the pool where most of the leaves collect
2. Should have convinced my builder to use solid PVC all around - they used some flex hose.

Thats about it. Best part is I care for my pool and once you understand the chemistry, etc, it's a snap.

We're happy that we bought a lot of cement for a very large deck area around the pool on two sides, and 3-4 feet on the smaller two sides. Lots of various areas to set up seating areas or large tables for parties. Also glad that the electrician put in extra outlets in but could have used one more in a different area if I'd planned more.
Best feature we splurged on was the automatic cover. Makes me feel safer when grandbabies are near, or less likely to have uninvited guests in the pool.

Regrets were that the pool isn't deep enough for safe diving (Even though everyone likes to dive in, even without diving boards)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This should read 'installed speakers'. Just nice to have the ability to play music out there - either when in the spa or swimming. I positioned one near the spa so I can keep the volume low and still hear it without disturbing neighbors. They have held up perfectly for over 2 years - coastal climate.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760CS1000W/PSB-CS1000-White.html?tp=188

They're not cheap but they sound spectacular.

@pooldv
Already done my friend! We put in built-in ceiling speakers under the tongue & groove ceiling for the kitchen/dining area and a mono-speaker in the bathroom tied to those and then outdoor/wet speakers to cover the lounge area and face the to-be pool space with a second set of jacks tied to those ready to go on the back of the brick work wall so I could feed a set of "rock" speakers or something. Those two zones are run by ZP-120's. Indoors I was already running Sonos before the project was even conceived. Agree 100% that it's a great solution. A little overpriced to be sure and they keep changing the controller software which is a PITA to re-learn each time, but I'm very happy with it.

@savela
I went with Klipsch for both the built-ins and wall hangers. Everyone has their favorites, and I almost don't think you could go wrong with any choice as long as you are sized right for an outdoor space. I've always been drawn to the brighter sound from the horns they have on their speakers though, so I went with what I knew.

Has anyone ever installed or had experience with a transducer for underwater sound? I've started looking into these as a possibility for the swim spa.

Thanks!!
plat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.