Another Texas Pool Build

Here here! My thinking exactly about shallow/deep ends, etc. Same thing goes for water wings (or whatever they're called now days).

Oh super!! I love the tile trim on the sunshelf!!! Sometimes I get lazy when replying to posts and don't go back earlier in the thread like I should. (I'd rather you take YOUR time and show me again!!! Sorry....)

I had also forgotten your blue tile. It looks fabulous with your coping. (I think I want to change my waterline tile back to blue!! :uhh: )

I was just interrupted by our landscaper.... I have no idea if I finished this or not. So if it sounds like it ended abruptly, well, I think it did. Have a great day!!! Suz.

Funny you should mention the water wings, when I was a kid my mother tells me I once decided I was going in the pool on my own but did not have my water wings on, picture a kid descending the ladder and just continues down till my head is completely under, I'm picturing bubbles coming up where I went in like a cartoon, I guess I thought I would eventually come back up. Luckily the lifeguard saw me and fished me out and returned me to my parents and the rest of the adults who were supposed to be looking after us. You mentioned landscaping, that is going to be next on our list along with a window installed to the right of the new bathroom to give us more visibility of the pool from our living room and kitchen. We originally had landscaping on our project but asked the PB to remove it, we felt we might be able to do a better job and get more what we really want if we took a step back, let the bank account recover and focus on that as a separate project rather than just throw a bunch of bushes up to be done with it. I sometimes wish we had kept it in as the area won't have that finished look to it, but we'll stick by our plan as I think it makes more sense long term. Thanks for the tile compliment, all credit goes to my wife, if left up to me I'd hate to think what this pool would look like. Seems that your project is going well, enjoying the photos and progress reports, it's crazy how similar each of our builds goes.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note which may need to be in a separate post but I'll leave it here for now. As everybody can see my pool has retained quite a bit of water from the rains we've had, I'm not worried about the concrete, actually think it's probably good for it but my question to the group is after they pump it out to do the plaster does it need to dry out any if at all? My instinct tells me applying plaster to wet concrete may actually be how they do it but just thought I'd ask so I know for myself and possibly somebody else was wondering the same thing. I was going to start getting rid of some of it this weekend in hopes of getting plaster next week but I believe we are in for more rain so it would really just end up being a water change out.

How funny! I love your story about you and the water wings. Yes, I can see the glub glub of bubbles coming up! How confused and shocked you must have been! "I always popped back up before...." :drown:

I like your thinking about the landscaping. I always like sitting with something for a while before making up my mind. That's why my slow pool build does not bother me at all. Now, I won't say there aren't times when I wish I were "keeping up with the Jones's" (pace) on this site, and I could probably be swimming by now. But I know for me, slow works best.

Now what??? you say! "Suz, you ARE doing it all at once." That's because I'm so darn sequential in thinking; you know, the whole domino thing. I want the pool. For decking, I want pavers. Well, I have to know the pool shape before I know what deck shape I want or can afford for the pavers. But..... I also need to know what and where I want landscaping before I get the pavers. What if I get the paver deck all laid out with the concrete edging, and then realize I really wanted my lemon tree to go closer to the pool in an island type bed; but the pavers are in the way (with their concrete border)????? The good thing for me is that landscaping is the one thing I'm most confident in knowing what I want. I had several ideas, but I wanted to see what this designer could come up with that I haven't imagined. Also, if I sit on the landscaping bit and think about the money too much, I might not spend the money I will right now. (reverse thinking for most, but I'm incredibly cheap) So, I want to do it now, so I won't be disappointed later. Ok, way more than you wanted to know, but I've typed it, so I'm leaving it. There! Suz.

Suz! I SO understand what you are saying. Go all the way to the end from the beginning.

If I give myself too much time to think about something it will get smaller and smaller until it is not done at all or the bare minimum will be done so as to not spend too much money.

I can't wait to see what the landscaper shows you.

Kim

Still in a holding pattern getting this pool finished. Have a pre plaster meeting with the builder scheduled for Tuesday so there is hope that the family will be swimming this summer. Decided to re finish a table I built a few years back here are some before stain and after stain photos, I really wanted to leave it natural this time and just go with some varnish or Polyurethane but I was overruled by the boss lady so I did as I was told.
312a10717b72ee1e7e5282e3d6172298.jpg
5f4c1b01ce5b6f9e83eaad3f9be75057.jpg
48bd14650efd3a3c9af4e6490454396e.jpg
573f663bc147ec0611761ec4e53c727e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the design of your table!

But back up! You have a pre plaster meeting with your PB? What is that? Have you been having meetings all along before each build phase? I didn't know these happen. Did you request the meeting? I'm very nervous about my glass tile installation. I think I will ask for a meeting.

Again, the table. You built a lovely table. I think I might have left the table unstained, but you and your wife have made a great team in choices thus far. I can't argue with success. It's definitely better to prevent stains from showing.

Let us know how this pre plaster meeting goes. I can't wait to see the finish on the gunite! You're nearing the final lap - pretty exciting!! Take care. Suz.

No we have not been having meetings before each phase more just talk when we need to. I'm not sure what that meeting is for either but sounds like a a good idea. At least it should be a chance to plan out the final part of this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suz strikes again! I need to put a warning label in my signature..... "Be forewarned: My friends like to ask for my opinion on design and color choices -- just so they know to do the opposite!!!" (no kidding, they've really said that!).

My son is a quilter and a wizard with design and color. He saw the table in both finishes, and said, "C'mon Mom, the stained is definitely better!" Like it was soooooo obvious that I should have seen it. (now I slink away to my place in the corner - LOL!!). Take care! Suz.

So I've been taking my pool water to the pool store to have it tested, I've followed all their recommendations and this is where it has gotten me.

Only kidding, for those that haven't been following, the end of my pool build seems to be taking forever and with all the rain we've had the pool has filled up and now the above is what I have. There is hope, today we had a "Pre Plaster" meeting with the builder and I'm cautiously optimistic that the end is really in sight. We went through a punch list of items that need to be addressed and laid out a plan to complete items which are lacking, it went well, I felt the supervisor looking after our job was sincere in his frustration with the subs, and not being able to get them to finish up what we have left due to a lot of them just not working last week with all the rain. Maybe not the whole truth but as I said I believe we have a path forward. More importantly we now have a plaster date, 25 May is the day, but to be honest I've looked at the weather forecasts from now till then and it does not look good for keeping to that schedule but at least we are on the list. Tomorrow they are scheduled to come and start the prep work which starts with pumping the swamp out and getting it cleaned up ready for plaster, hope it doesn't get filled back up over the weekend.

Your last photo should be the warning post on the Pool Maintenance section! Awesome post and photo! The good thing about that photo is..... no matter what you do or don't do with your pool maintenance, I don't think it will ever look as bad as that!!

Glad things look like they're rolling along again. Take care. Suz.

Should also have mentioned, I will be serving some eviction notices to the three turtles that have taken up residence in the pool. Don't worry we will relocate them back to the pond across the street where I suspect they came from.

Turtles? We have had frogs, a snake, and a duck but never turtles. BUT mine is also an above ground pool so it would be much harder to get into.

I wonder what kind of turtles. Be VERY careful if they are snappers! OUCH!

Kim

We had enough frogs to open a French restaurant.
It was so loud outside in the evening you could not hold a conversation.
The kids took care of it, catching a big bucket full of frogs. (Boys!)
Our Doxie accounted for a number as well, but he was more keen on the little snakes.

Now we are full, we only hear the ones residing in out waterfall.
Once the waterfall is tuned up and running daily I am hoping the chlorine it less to their liking and the move out.

Just got a text from my wife, somebody has shown up and is pumping out the swamp, finally, real progress and hopefully the beginning of the end, almost feel like leaving work to go witness the event.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.