Closing In-Ground Pool in Arizona

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
It is never to early to ask but do we have any folks out there from Arizona?

This is my first year with a pool in my new home and wondered do I need to do much in the winter time here in the desert?

I do plan on maintaining chlorine all winter long with my SWG and have a solar blanket that I may use just to keep as much of the dust and dirt out.
I do plan to reduce my timer to about 2 hrs as that will circulate 100% of the pool.
I may even shut down my SWG and just shock the pool.
What do you think or suggest?

Iggy in the cool part of the desert
8) :-D

Iggy

I am in El Paso, pretty much the same climate as you, I think you are on the right track, I do exactly what you said except I run my pool 4hrs, I leave the solar cover on and check my water about once a week, you might also take your cover off every couple of weeks to let the water "breath", more than likely you will have to buy a new cover next year, my expierences with leaving the cover on year round they just cannot handle the chemicals/sun.

Not sure if it freezes there, we get some 25 degree nights here, I have the freeze protection for the timer so it will kick the pump on when the temp goes below freezing.

Rob

Thanks Rob for information.

We have usually have mild winters here in Arizona.
If we do have a freeze it is short lived. May kill the flowers and young trees but I don't think enought to freeze pipes like I've seen other places.

Anyone else have any input for winters in the desert?

Iggy 8)

Tucson area here. I've gotten some input from some "locals"; a lot of them do just leave the pool open, and run the pump when the weather gets below freezing to avoid the hoses or pipes icing up. And I remember that my aunt and uncle in Southern California didn't really do anything for their pool in the winter, but they usually did end up growing a little bit of algae. Not terrible, though.

My pool stays open. SWG shuts itself off when the water is below 52. The freeze protection protects the pump. I also switch my pump to run at night so when it does freeze, the pump does not run all night and then again during the day as per the schedule.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.