Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum ?

When I connect my vac hose to the skimmer, the pump seams to be starving for water. My hose is about 30' long but I only need about 20'. I feel there is too much restriction for the hose length. If I cut it to 20' will that help to solve the starvation problem? The hose is 11/2" ID. Also can I get a new cuff for the hose end?
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum ?

Make sure the hose is filled with water and fully submerged before connecting it to the skimmer. If that doesn't help then you might have a leak in the hose. My hose if about 5 feet longer than it needs to be, but that doesn't affect suction at all. What I do it attach it to the vacuum head, submerge it in the water and feed the rest of the hose in after it. Once all of the hose is submerged, I life the vac plate out of the water and quickly into the skimmer. It works every time. If there is any air left in the hose you'll get what you are experiencing.

3. Back To Top    #3

1 other quick thought is about the hose itself -- many of them have a swivel cuff on one end, this should be attached to the vacuum head, if put on the skimmer side it can draw air into the system and cause the problem you are experiencing 8)

Please keep us informed as to how things are going
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I made sure that the hose was full, swivel cuff at the vac head and I still have the same problem. I also checked the leaf basket cover and there were no air leaks there. I'm puzzled
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

5. Back To Top    #5

Could be a leak in the hose then. Possibly at the cuff which attaches to the vac plate. Air is being drawn in from somewhere.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll do some more checking, but the entire hose and both connections were under water at the time.

7. Back To Top    #7

Had this problem a couple of years ago, there was a bunch of acorns stuck in the skimmer line which caused cavitation when the vac hose was hooked up - otherwise things ran fine. Have you vacuumed up big stuff without the skimmer basket in place?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

That is worth looking into. How did you clear the line?
    Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    Thanks
    Forced water back through the line from the pump
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

10. Back To Top    #10

My line appears to be clear. If I connect a short 3' hose, there's no problem. The second I connect the 30' hose the problem returns. I'm going to try to force a garden hose thru it tomorrow and see what happens.
    Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

After searching the site for a while, I for a thread that lead me to this link:
    http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_skimmer ... kimmer.htm
    This is exactly my skimmer. It seems that I am missing part #9 the vac adaptor. I've just been attaching the hose into the pump side port, I'll try to pick up the adaptor plate at the PS tomorrow. If I understand the diagram correctly I should remove #3 (float assembly) and insert the adaptor plate when vacuuming the pool. This should eliminate the pump cavitation.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ah yes, a vac plate would help. I thought you had one. My skimmer doesn't have as many parts as yours so I just attach the hose to the vac plate and then stick the vac plate into the skimmer.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    Thanks
    Forced water back through the line from the pump
    Thread bump!

How did you force water from the pump, through the section lines out to the skimmer?

Begining last year, I began having this problem reported in this thread. When connecting the vaccuum, the pump seems starved for water. I have found many threads here at TFP where others have reported this problem. So, I have a list of things to check through. But if I check all those and find no issue, I wanted to know specifically how you flushed the line.

I have another thread here regarding seal plate damage which I will be replacing/repairing this weekend for opening. That thread is here: strange-seal-plate-damage-pentair-whisperflo-pump-t4517.html

I suppose it's possible that my leaking seal plate was responsible for ingesting air. Maybe my pump re-built will correct the vaccuuming issue as well. *Crosses fingers*

Thanks,

Kelly
    Rectangular Vinyl 20' x 40', 3.5' shallow end, 8' deep end, approx 33,000gal
    1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo / 60 gal DE Filter / 2 returns - 1 shallow end wall, 1 deep end floor
    SC-60 SWG / Autopilot Digital Pool Pilot v.4.2 / Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but don't forget to check the leaf basket in the pump. When mine gets filled I get low pressure readings on the filter and the vac won't move. Just my .02.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

15. Back To Top    #15

OK, I lied, we used air to clear the clog (we used the blower we use to winterize pools) However, I have also used a Drain King to get enough pressure from the garden hose to do the same thing
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted