Newbie pump question...

Oct 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Just had our fiberglass pool installed and the crew wasn't very thorough or I was just slammed with new info, but I am confused on how my Hayward SP3200 VSP works with the Intermatic manual timer they also installed. I see that feed from the timer goes into the body of the pump.

1. Does the Intermatic timer override the internal VSP timers?
2. If so, the Intermatic is currently programmed to run for (2) six hour periods. Too much? Too little?
3. Also, if the Intermatic dictates when the pump comes on, how do I set what speed for it to use (speed 1, 2, 3 or 4)?

Details...

Viking (Liberty Lincoln pool)
10,800 Gallons
SWG - Hayward Aqua Rite with T-Cell 3
Not sure what other details matter

Maybe I am just making this more complicated than it is, but just a bit overwhelmed :)

1. The only thing the intermatic controls is power to the pump. It cannot tell the pump what speed to run at.
2. Here is a guide for determining pump run time .
3. When the pump receives power, it may run the currently scheduled program if one exists, or the last speed you had the pump set for. The pump manual should clarify this for you.

If you have a booster pump make sure you don't run it when the main pump is not on.

The only controls that can regulate Ecostar's speed setting are Hayward's own automation systems such as the Prologics. It is my understanding that all other timers, including Intermaric, just tell pump to turn on or off at whatever speed it was running last.

Given Ecostar's great control panel and self timing control features, I truly see no purpose in using an additional timer just to power it on/off.

As far as time of run goes, 8 hour split is perfectly fine for your size pool. In the summer you maybe find that you may need to run for longer at higher speeds. It's a play it by ear thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.