Can chlorine and muriatic acid be added at same time?

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
Can chlorine (tabs in floater) and muriatic acid be added at the same time? How long does pump have to run after acid is added? Should we brush pull after we add acid so "mix it in"? We have new plaster and trying to do things right. Thanks!

Don't add acid and liquid chlorine at the same time. Not a good combination. You can do the tabs and acid at the same time. Just don't let them come into contact with each other outside of the water.
Add each liquid chemical separately. With your pump running slowly pour acid in front of a return jet. Let each chemical mix for 20-30 min with the pump running before adding the next.
There's no need to brush to mix unless your pump is not working or you lose power. Let the pump do the mixing.

The times given above are certainly safe. In fact, as soon as the acid or bleach is in the pool, there is little danger of a harmful reaction. So even just a few minutes between chemicals is fine. I prefer to run the brush along the bottom just to ensure nothing settles.

jblizzle said:
The times given above are certainly safe. In fact, as soon as the acid or bleach is in the pool, there is little danger of a harmful reaction. So even just a few minutes between chemicals is fine.
This is the method I have used since switching to the TFP method. Going on my fourth year and have never had a chemical reaction when adding these chemicals within a couple of minutes of each other. The key is to slowly pour each chemical (individually) slowly in front of a return jet with the pump on. I would leave the pump running for at least a half-hour after adding the last chemical.

I will suggest that bleach and MA should be stored separately from each other. If the two chemicals were to come in contact with each other from a spill, that will result in a hazardous condition. I store MA outside in an enclosed, but ventilated, container located in a shaded area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.